using the feeder in winter

mike1234

i have been using my feeder with chopped worm sections that are mostly too big to leave the feeder which is meant for maggots so only the hook bait can be taken and the feeder is only providing smell when the fish arent eating alot of offerings

it seems to be working i am hoping to try it with other smellier baits just to get the fish looking for food but not taking the free offering and then moving off

Open-ended feeder with some sort of medium like the earth your worms come in?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Open-ended feeder with some sort of medium like the earth your worms come in?

i have been using a closed feeder one of the little plastic bubbles with a cap each end and little holes on the sides for maggots to riddler out of but i have been filling the feeder with lobworm sections that cannot escape the holes so the fish cannot eat anything but the hook bait,

my local lake fishes well in the winter but over feeding can kill a days fishing on colder days so instead of putting a feeder out then swapping to a lead i have been using the feeder as more of a attractant rather than depositing loose feed

I think you're worrying too much. It's hard to overfeed fish, especially when you're using a feeder. If you were spodding feed or balling bait in you might think about how you're going through but a feeder...nah...try the open feeder and swap to a lead on a alternate casts.

Edited by Andy Macfarlane

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Sounds good to me mike, plenty of smell without any feed :) Such a simple idea, that it's certainly going on my list :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I think you're worrying too much. It's hard to overfeed fish, especially when you're using a feeder. If you were spodding feed or balling bait in you might think about how you're going through but a feeder...nah...try the open feeder and swap to a lead on a alternate casts.

in the winter feeders full of bait cast into the same spot seems to kill my fishing maybe you fish somewhere which has a greater stock of fish, i wouldnt use the method in the summer but it seems to be working for the colder days when it certainly ISNT hard to over feed fish

It's very easy to overfeed fish, especially in cold weather. Nice idea that, I wonder if it would help draw big perch in without feeding up the crayfish...?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

i have been using my feeder with chopped worm sections that are mostly too big to leave the feeder which is meant for maggots so only the hook bait can be taken and the feeder is only providing smell when the fish arent eating alot of offerings

it seems to be working i am hoping to try it with other smellier baits just to get the fish looking for food but not taking the free offering and then moving off

I've often thought that trapping the bait in the feeder, providing it has plenty of smell, would keep the fish in the area longer. But I soon thought, every time you reel in a bite or a missed bite you are taking the feed with you leaving no feed in your swim so your fish will soon swim off, especially if the movment of the feeder spooks them when striking.

Your having more luck than me, I went to a small pond yesterday and didn't get a single bite. It was freezing though.

Edited by SPSwallow

I find fish do not like the disturbance a feeder makes when cast into the water in winter, unlike the summer when they recognise that as food!! strange but that is what I have experienced. However that is an awesome idea I try doing similar things by flavouring bread crumb and dropping it in from a pole cup but that still fills the roach up and kills my swim!!

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

sounds like a great idea to me chopped up lobs, fish cant resist the smell but as you say not wantin to feed them 2 much i will try it soon whilst fishing a lob worm injected wi air will let u know how i get on. ucould also add a little cotton wool either side of it for pakin purposes.

Edited by AndyY