fishing on tv

Alan Fawcett

The type of Angling prog i would like to se on tv is the Angling/nature type that was done so well in the passion for angling series and the out of town with jack hargreaves.

Personally i dont enjoy watching the serious match fishing type progs and these are best left to video.

TV Angling progs need to appeal to the non Angling viewers and progs like the ones bill oddie do and the late micheal clegg with his cleggs people was good viewing.

That way we have a better chance of seeing more Angling on tv if it appeals to more viewers.

I too enjoyed the secret lake with Andy Orme if im not mistaken and i still have it on video.

My passion for angling videos get some stick and i live for the day when they release it on dvd with all the extra footage they left out added.

The Matt Hayes fishing progs were enjoyable and i have to get a mate to tape me them as i dont have sky or cable.

When i watch John wilson now i end up counting how many times he say whoops! and i think the record was 23 in one prog!

A fishing prog as to capture the joy of being by the water side and the wildlife and countryside.

Some history of the river/pond/location they are fishing and a relaxing soundtrack.

Yes i have to say it but the passion for angling series was superb and especially the narative part with Bernard Cribbins adding slices of poetry from well known Angling litrature.

What chance is there of Hugh miles doing another series with chris yates and another angler (seeing as him and Bob james dont speak any more!)

Its a pity Bill oddie dont fish as he is very interesting to watch .

The Aussie bloke who did that series was good viewing and its a pity they only showed a few on channel 4........what was is name now?

He used to say yibbeda yibbeda a lot!!!

Maybe one day they will make casting at the sun a sort of angling 1 hour special.

Anyway thats my ramblings on the subject.

On a end note wouldent it be a good idea to bombard the bbc website with e-mails demanding more fishing progs on tv?

And i suspose match fishing progs are better than none at all. :D

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember "Hooked" about match fishing.

Only decent progs on Sky have been Coast to Coast and the coverage of Fishermania was ok.

I agree more progs like Tight Lines should be on the TV but with a few more features. Seems to be too much gassing and not enough action.

Also remember "Eh Brian it's a whopper" the scene when fish were smuggled in inside a flask during a match springs to mind.

More (NEW) Fishing on TV

Cheers

why don't we start an online petition to bring fishing programmes back on terrestrial tv like the exellent GO FISHING hosted by john wilson you can still catch this if you go to norfolk but i think that it should be nationwide :P

john wilson is god

It must surely be ratings and money that cause programmes to be made or not,if there was enough money in it someone would be doing it.

Have you seen the advert on cable Home&Leisure for any one to send in there bit of video of themselves doing it??Who's going to be the next Matt Hayes or Paul young?

Martin.

The Yibbida Yibbida guy is Rex Hunt, the fishing is a bit exotic, I watched him fishing for carp at John Wilsons pools, talk about a fish out of water. The kids and I counted how many times he said " I tell ya what" it was 32 times during the 25 minutes he was on.

Spot on with your observations and comments Slyder I totally agree, personally I don't much care who fronts it as long as its on terrses..terst... proper telly and done by an angler or anglers who can instruct and entertain without promoting 'their' latest tackle range.

I like Keith Arthurs style on Tight lines.

To prevent the show becoming a niche market production it would have to appeal to joe public and show fish actually being caught, that as we all know can take time and in good light and weather too. Therein is one of the problems, it may tie up a crew for hours or days to capture enough film for each 30 min show. The only people with the money to splash out on multi-coverage hand-held cameras, aka fish-o-mania, and afford to pay the angling celebs retainers to sit and wait, are the barry hearns of this world hence Sky coverage only, can't see the beeb paying anyone to sit on a wet muddy bank for days when they can make another cr***y romantic novel adaptation and all dress up in puffy costumes. :D

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

I personally think what we don't need is any more coverage of the likes of Marlin and Carp championships or Fishermania type matches that Sky Sports have recently broadcast. For my money they are far too shallow in content and go on for too long thus, possibly, irritating the non-angling viewers....not what we want!

Paul

I do think it's important to be discerning about the quality of the content,there must be cut off point beyond witch it would be counter productive,there are a few examples around on cable of how to do it badly.

Also I'm not convinced however well and skillfully it was presented there could ever be an important number of non anglers interested enough to chase after to boost audience figures.

Martin.

I can only see a few problems with all of this:

1. Any fishing programs generally are aired at around 11pm - so only the anglers watch

2. The programs are generally based around the usual format - show the venue, talk about set up and then catching fish.

I agree that some coverage of the environmental aspects would help

With regard to a presenter, I haven't seen Chris Tarrant's name mentioned. Ask a non-angler if they know Matt Hayes and they will probably say "who?". Ask them if they know Chris Tarrant and 99% will. He appears to be a good angler with the personality and popularity amongst the non-anglers upon which to build a following. Plus he would be doing a program about something he obviously cares about.

If he gets the job, I'll wait for my 10% recommenders fee !