fishing on tv

Alan Fawcett

Hi All

Right i can now reveal why i asked the question.

I was talking to one of the regulars at our fuel station last week the lady concerned works for the beeb & she told me the BBC wouldn't be interested in showing any angling (we got round to fishing because her husband is an angler) programs because there's not enough call for it & the heads of programing don't believe it would be viable as there's no call for it.

BUT....

I was informed that the head of BBC 2 is a woman & is usually open to ideas from the public/viewers but she will only pay attention to ideas for programs if they would be of interest to both male & female viewers (there's a growing number of women anglers)!!

After spending sometime mailing & phoning Dave Webster of maggotdrowning.com he kindly agreed to set up & also set aside some space on the website for a petition.

All i ask now is you pass this link on to as many anglers as you can, this is not about "hits" on a website but about getting angling back on terrestrial Tv where everyone can enjoy it. (webmasters/ site admin if possible could you please send the link out to all your registered members??)

There is a space on the petition for you to add your own "bit" no one will be able to see your name,address etc as they are sent directly to another page which is viewable to myself & Dave only.

As i have already said please pass this link onto as many people as you can & if you know an angler who hasn't got net access then please let them use your computer as it is really a case of the more the merrier.

Thanks for all the replies & for being so patient with me while this was all brought together.

The link for the petition is below.

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/petition/bbc.htm

Thanks again

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chris

Yeah i've seen your entry mate , thanks for that.

There's quite a few peoples names gone on it now the only problem is i don't know who most of them are cos i'm used to their "handles" not their real names lol.

If anyone else from here has signed then i'd just like to say thanks for taking the time.

TROGG (Alan)

since the petition went "live" yesterday a total of 84 people have signed it, thanks to all those who have taken the time to try & get angling back on telly.

TROGG (Alan)

102 now :)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

116 and growing!

MY POST

"As an angler from the age of about 6 or 7, It wasn't until I was about 18 that the first terrestrial TV angling show was aired, Go Fishing, apart from about 5 mins of Ted Tuckerman's Tight Lines on TSW. Being very keen on fishing I genuinely used to look forward to it being on, I think it was on about 10pm on a Tuesday night. With so many people participating in fishing I beleive viewing figures would be high, especially if it was on at a time before 10pm so junior or budding anglers could watch it. I was introduced to fishing by my dad but I believe that if a terrestrial fishing programme was aired then people who previously had no interest in the sport or whose parents had no interest would understand more just what anglers do for the countryside, environment, fish conservation etc. and may well give fishing a go."