fishing on tv

Alan Fawcett

Guest sslatter

Nugg:

The Yibbida Yibbida guy is Rex Hunt...<SNIP>

This is only my personal opinion, but I think Rex Hunt does more to damage the (non-angling) public's perception of the sport we love than any other presenter. The way he treats fish makes me cringe. I've sat and watched some of his programmes with non-angling colleagues and friends, and I have felt ashamed. Seeing him roughly rip the hooks out of the back of a foulhooked barra, and then just carelessly toss the fish back in, does nothing to convince the general public that real anglers really do care. A couple of others who are closer to home have also surprised me in their (sometimes) harsh treatment of fish, and lack of respect for the environment.

Chris Yates is a very good example of someone who obviously cares about and respects the fish he fishes for, and the environment in general. Like I said, some of the others just make me cringe.

[ 26. January 2003, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I particulary enjoyed the series Chris Yates and Bob James did a while back at Remire Pool. I thought it was great the way they respected the fish seeing them as "ancient friends" and really brought the whole romance and essence that fishing should be about. Like school kids at times they added a sense of excitement. So yes, incase you hadn't noticed I liked this one :o )) Do more like this!

T ;o)

Guest sslatter

Just as an afterthought, I have always been surprised that no enterprising underwater documentary team has ever done any serious sub-aqua footage in freshwater, at least none that I've ever seen. And I do keep my eyes peeled. (Maybe someone here has seen such a thing?). You get the odd set-up shot of a jack pike feeding etc etc, but never anything of substance like the undersea documentaries that you get. I would really like to see some of the giant french carp and cats in their natural environment, such as in Cassien. "Aaah, but..." I hear you say.. "It's the visibility..it's too poor." But I've been to Cassien and other french carp and cat lakes, and I've snorkelled in them, and in places the visibility was at least 100 feet, if not more, good enough for the photographers. I wonder if they actually know of the existence of these giant fish right here in Europe? It would be great to see underwater shots of such fish.

[ 26. January 2003, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

signed up.with all the wildlife programmes the beeb make surely they could make an excellent angling programme.

on a differant note the BBC have a new political programme out on the 2nd of feb .3 of us were asked to help with the opening credits,only a 4 second piece but it took 4 hours .still at least some people at the BBC know the way to a lake .and we were ever so helpful so you never know.

Alan and friends thanks for setting this up and don,t let it go .cheers big al

british by birth ,english by the grace of god

131 now.....!!

Paul

Graham x,

As far as I'm aware, John Bailey is in the process of doing a series of programmes, that revolve around underwater footage of fish reacting to people fishing for them.

Sounds really good.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.