Disclosure

trent.barbeler

As a writer I feel that I have to report the odd fish to the press. However, most of them I keep very quiet about. What's more, apart from Wingham where I can control fishing pressure, I never reveal the venue to any but trusted friends.

Some might call this selfish, but half the battle of catching specimens is to find the right water. Additionally, I like peace and quiet - the vast majority of waters I fish see very few anglers, and I want to keep it that way.

I did a TV programme some years ago on gravel pit perch. For the rest of the season I couldn't get a swim anywhere near where I'd fished!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear All,

Whilst fishing the tidal Trent a few years ago, I caught a thirteen pound plus barbel and put it in the angling press although the area was never disclosed. Another at 12lbs plus a few weeks later also got submitted. These are the "only" barbel I have ever placed in the angling press pages by the way although I have caught many more far bigger ones since. For my actions, and the similar actions of others at the time, the tidal Trent is now a busy place. However, being a passionate "open to all" club river angler, I have no complaints as I truly believe open to all fishing should be the angling door that remains open for all to walk through freely if they so choose.

Helpful disclosure can carry severe penalties though.

In the past I have helped literally hundreds of anglers find their first Trent barbel via giving them disclosure of certain venues and stretches after receiving emails concerning Trent barbel fishing. I gave this information freely in conjunction with my open to all fishing beliefs. Not now though. One previously open to all venue has been greedily gobbled up by a few anglers that previously had unrestricted access to the venue anyway!! One amongst this greedy little group can even be read laughing at others that now can't fish there because someone "threw empty cans of beer" into the river whilst he was fishing there prior to him taking over the stretch of river!! He says that this action and the action of those leaving litter "pushed him off his favourite bit of the river??!!" Can't say I have "ever" seen this bloke fishing there before myself as he actually lives miles away!!.

So nice one to this particular small minded bloke. Your selfish actions have now denied access to an open to all venue for thousands that used to fish there for generations!! Not to mention the hundred’s of local village kids that used to fish there in the school summer holidays.

There was absolutely no need to take this section of river over as access was there for all either via a cheap day ticket or cheap as chips season ticket. So why the desire to take this very popular venue over??

No more disclosure from me that’s for sure. Open to all fishing as far as I'm concerned depends now on keeping your mouth shut tight!!

So very sad that a few greedy people seem more than willing to spoil the fishing of a majority who just want to go fishing.

Open to all fishing means exactly that. Open to all.

Regards,

Lee.

Lee

You are not the only one who knows a fair bit about Trent barbel.A lot of us have also fished the river for years.Some of us don't feel the need to broadcast it though.

You don't have a monopoly of knowledge.I lived virtually on the banks of the Trent for many years and managed to find out a fair bit about it myself.

As for your comments on the 'takeover' of a stretch of river by a group of anglers you are giving a very onesided picture, as I am sure many will realise.

I personally, have always tried to fish exclusive and private waters as they suffer less from litter etc.than most 'Open to all' venues.

If the situation you describe leads to an improvement in a particular angling environment then good luck to all concerned.

DF

Dear Cahal,

Interesting post. Although I don’t agree with one single word of it.

Firstly Cahal, I've actually never heard of you as being a Trent man. Perhaps you fish way up river?

As for fishing the river for years? I can honestly say that my own personal experience of the river can be backed up 100% with photographs of caught barbel going way back to 1973. I have always held the opinion though that such experience as my own is far better utilised in a sharing sense so that others might also catch a few more fish for themselves. Refer to these past acts of genuine kindness as "broadcasting" if you will.

Knowledge is for all.

Your quote of;

"As for your comments on the 'takeover' of a stretch of river by a group of anglers you are giving a very one-sided picture, as I am sure many will realise."

Please, enlighten us. I don’t seem to recall naming names or even naming a venue?? Are you connected in any way??

You also said;

"I personally, have always tried to fish exclusive and private waters as they suffer less from litter etc.than most 'Open to all' venues."

The venue that I'm referring to WAS open to all in the first place NOT PRIVATE. It was the greedy actions of a tiny minority that went out of their way to make it PRIVATE!! Oh, and just for themselves by the way. Forgot to mention that have we?? Wonder why!

Litter??? Potato time and If I may say so, what a crap excuse!

Fact; In comparison to almost anywhere where modern man congregates or utilises, fishing banks are relatively free of litter. Yes, some anglers do leave litter behind. So what? Life just isn’t perfect when it comes to litter. Angling believe it or not, (based upon facts not whimsical fancy) is way out in front in the none leaving litter stakes compared to most other sporting events. Stay behind on the terraces after a football match if you want to see litter. Or a chip shop around midnight? Any town centre? Beach in the summer? Theatre? Cinema? So I suppose you never attend any of the venues above then? Frankly, its high time anglers that "say" they are seasoned started to stand up for their fellow anglers instead of trying to run them down at every opportunity. Litter is everywhere so don’t single angling out as the pariah for this problem when its anything but that! You might very well prefer the exclusive seat on private water, that's your choice. What I am talking about here is an open to all water the WAS taken over by greedy anglers so they could have it entirely for themselves!! Why I wonder when said venue was open to all via a cheap day or season ticket previously. Not quite the same thing is it.

You said;

"If the situation you describe leads to an improvement in a particular angling environment then good luck to all concerned."

WHAT!!?? So we have a greedy group take over an open to all venue for themselves? How does that improve this particular angling environment? Could it be that the greedy group regard themselves as superior custodians of the angling environment over and way above those who previously fished the venue?? Pray tell how would they know this and also pray tell, what might give this group the absolute right to adopt such shoddy, trite rubbish? Sounds very much like angling snobbery to me. Certainly a good slap in the face for the "angling majority" who fished the venue in question for generation after generation. Imagine that, all those anglers completely wrong about looking after the environment in which they fished for all those years? Can't begin to think how said venue managed to survive all those long years?? Or imagine how the nations other open to all venues have managed to survive either.

Fact: Open to all fishing clubs are the absolute backbone of course fishing in the UK. These old and ancient clubs are the SOLE reason why we enjoy the fishing we do today. Open to all fishing clubs "HAVE" been the true custodians of the fishing environments for nearly 200 years in some cases. Take this away, or seek to destroy it, and you ultimately seek to destroy the fishing of many and destroy with scant regard its esteemed history.

You are obviously not a "open to all" club devotee Cahal preferring to as you say " I personally, have always tried to fish exclusive and private waters".

Well bully for you Cahal if your pocket is big enough for such exclusive fishing.

But for many, the exclusive or private venue is NOT an option. Family men/women for example rely on local open to all fishing as they can’t afford anything else. Bringing up a young family and having a large mortgage to pay restricts the amount of money they have available to spend on fishing. These actually form the majority within course angling. What about these anglers then Cahal? I suppose the interests of the privateers endorses that these majority anglers interests be brushed aside?

Then there’s another side to this coin.

River fish, especially Trent fish, actually do what God intended them to do. They swim. And in many cases, swim off and don’t return for several seasons!! As a seasoned Trent man you would of course know all about this Cahal. So what’s the point of exclusive or private stretches when the fish swim off up river for a couple of seasons? Bit embarrassing sitting blanking in privacy when open to all commoner's are catching fish after fish on their open to all venues somewhere else? And of course the privateers won't pull up stumps to go and slum it with the catching commoners? Bit pointless being a privateer in a river sense then don’t you think??

Fact; River fishing is TOTALLY reliant on open to all fishing so the intrepid angler can wander freely in pursuit of his quarry as and when it actually MOVES!! Big fish angling even more so as these fish are incredibly mobile. Taking away open to all fishing is not only extremely selfish; it is also very pointless as well in the long term from a catching point of view!!

And even constables newly arrived within the ranks of the barbel police should know that.

I for my sins remain staunchly in allegiance to open to all fishing and the overwhelming majority that rely on it. For I am NOT, puppet to the muppet. I'm my own man. Patriot of the open to all Principle.

Regards,

Lee.

:)

Dear ALL

As one of the anglers in the Hazelford Piscatorial Society, I feel that I am more than at ease to post a few comments on this thread......

This thread started about disclosure of waters.

We have......in a long winded way......in true trent barbeler style.......got around to where Lee wanted to get.....slow bike me thinks.

Lee has been posting on here...after leaving BFW in yet another dramatic angling internet website flurry.....which has occured on several occasions now, including from this one a while back......the topics all holding the central core of 'open to all' angling.

Those who do not know Lee personally will read these threads and be mesmerised by his skill with words......as I once was.

Those who know him just sit back and watch and wait for the time when it all gets too crackers for patience.

For me.....I know the true reasons surrounding the 'caretaking' of the particular stretch of the Trent that Lee is talking about.....the plain fact of the matter here is that Lee doesn't.

He has seen something and has allowed it to grow into something else.

Fact.....Barnsley were happy for the particular stretch to be 'caretakered'....it came with their blessing.

Fact....There must have been a reason for this blessing.

Fact......Lee once told me to my face that the area we are talking about was a s**t-hole and one that he would never ever fish.....not for a kings randsom. (More litter there than Grantham rubbish dump and angling practices that should be outlawed...ie, hauling fish up a 20 foot wall and throwing them back again Rex Hunt style from that point...if the fish hadn't already broken the line and fallen back with assorted float and leger tackle and line trailing from them.)

Fact.....I have fished there twice, both times after chub and at the end of this past season....both short three hour sessions. The stretch contained more rubbish, litter, broken glass, beer cans, opened meat and sweetcorn tins, hooks and more disguarded line than I have ever seen at any fishery ever.

Fact.....Walkers, both dog and normal, made complaints to the angling club about the mess......bear in mind that the two fields below this stretch are also owned by the club but bear no resemblence to the wier stretch with regard to rubbish.....and the call from a large proportion of the locals to have angling banned from the site due to the rubbish left there. (I should know as I have family living in both nearby villages to this fishery who have informed me since of the growing calls against the place becoming another land filled refuse site.)

Fact......Since the season ended there have been many clean up parties there sorting the whole mess out. The photos that I took of the place before the season ended bear no resemblence to the photos I now have of that stretch.

Fact.....The angling PR this short term clean up plan has acheived is quite staggering. The comments from the locals who enjoy the walk along the river or take that route to exercise their dogs has taken a massive turn round. 'Responsible', 'caring' and 'environmentally friendly' are just three descriptive words spoken within long and productive conversations with those people both on the bankside and within the commmunity. (RSSG but on a smaller and more intimate scale.....but either way an example to us all to follow.)

Fact......The litter abuse this angling site sees is 100 times greater in the summer months.......it looks bad in the winter and that is when all the floods have 'cleaned' quite a bit of the rubbish down river in their wake.

Fact.....This site will never look like a dumping ground again whilst it is cared for by the Hazelford Piscatorial Society....whichever members are involved as the time goes on.....and that is a very positive move forward to ensuring good 'open to all' angling in the future. (Open to all due to there being a waiting list for membership of the Society......just like many, many other angling clubs throughout the country.)

Fact......Barnsley have been on site and have come away very impressed.....

Fact......The rats might not like the clean up and may have to move.....no bad thing then.

A couple of quotes from Lee from the recent past should put any who view this thread in some better position of where he comes from....

An announcement was made about the stretch on a few websites......comments were asked for.....Lee's initial comment was "None from me aside from good luck and good fishing to all involved. Oh, one question. Did the Piscatorial Society manage to get access to the BWB car park? I had to purchase a boat license to obtain my access rights and key. But then again, I purchased a boat as well.

Cracking bit of water."

This also followed a few posts later...."There's a rumour going up and down the valley though that a consortium of the big Nottinghamshire clubs is putting together a bid to buy up this stretch on the river. Been looked at for the last two years apparently. Nott’s and Newark piscatorial's and others are interested so it seems.

By the way, it’s obvious now that quite a lot of anglers will now be denied access to this particular fishery as all Hazelford Piscatorial places have been allocated.

Not to worry. One can fish the opposite weir pool and its three hundred yard run off on a day ticket. This side is called (I think) "Kingfisher Fishery" and is run by the local estate/farmer. And on a plus side, this stretch does have a definite history for the bigger fish coming out. Below that, the fishing for miles is controlled by Nott’s and Newark Piscatorials. Below the Barnsley stretch there is a very short private stretch consisting of around five or six pegs. (This little stretch was actually given to its present owner by a wealthy magistrate in his will or something like that) AND:!!! This little stretch has produced some massive barbel over the last few years. AND!! These lower Barnsley adjoining pegs have a history for hardly ever being fished!!!! Bet they will be now?? Oh by the way. The bend at the bottom of the Barnsley and private stretch is a once famous Salmon pool. Anyone know its name???"

Now then, Facts..........'open to all'....'Nott’s and Newark Piscatorials' are not open to all in the true sense but are dead mans shoes tickets and within a radius job as well. Also....'there is a very short private stretch consisting of around five or six pegs'. This is also a syndicated bit of water.....and just for good measure.....'This little stretch has produced some massive barbel over the last few years'. So has all of the river Trent....the myth that only a few places produce big barbel is twaddle. I live no more than two miles from an area that has done a 15, 16 and 17 pound fish......those in the know in my area are aware of these captures....they were just caught by carp anglers who have no vested interests in the barbel and I and others who know the areas have kept tight lipped so that our carp brothers can continue to fish these areas without outsiders crushing the place to bits and not caring for the river and its bankside.....the whole river is a big barbel bonanza for those with any desire to pioneer.

Ding-a-ling! Ding-a-long! Dong-a-ding-a-ling! Dong-clang-bing-a-ling!

A while later this was posted......

"Any Comments?

Well, you did ask. So don't get so chilly when someone actually does say something. And take a chill pill chaps. Its only fishing. I said its only fishing.

Good fishing to those in the Hazelford thingmy. I may not post on this thread again."

And lastly, in this long winded post from myself that suggests that Lee's post is one sided and not containg the truth of how, why and for what reasons the stretch caretaking came about.....

"I sincerely hope all concerned in this Hazelford pesky piscie rat pack barbel blasting BS card totin sundowner society all catch the fish in their dreams next season. (one or two already have this season I know but mums the word. Winky face)

Tis, my fellow wet line danglers, only a "bit O' Fishin" after all. Many would do well to remember that. Not everything that floats is edible. Clever fish don't rise to everything.

Truthfully, I confess to my part on this thread being one of sheer naughtiness. I wish no one any ill will though. Or sickly Bill for that matter. I merely tugged on a few strings sticking out from below the barn door knowing full well that one or two gaurd dogs would come a running."

Regarding Cahal and his Trent roots......don't walk there Lee......names you mentioned to me whilst we fished together are sincere good friends of his.....people whom he has known and fished with for many many years.

My thoughts are this, past friend......go fishing and try and enjoy your time on the bank......your credence on 'open to all' fishing went out the window when you cut and run from the organisation you said would be the saviour to all 'open to all' river fishing.....the RSSG. (Never spoken of nowadays but four letters that should be highlighted and hauled up from the ashes once in a while to show just how quickly direction can be changed by drum beaters.)

'Open to all' Lee....you have never been open to all......if so, publicise your fish from this season and inform all as to where you are fishing next season as well....then lets see how many can get tickets and how welcome you will make them feel.

Yes, it is fine of you saying to others who ask questions as to where to fish on the Trent like.....go fish Beeston Weir...or try Trent lock....or Cranfleet lock and other such places but is it right for those who already fish there and you do not......smacks of massive hypocrisy to me old chum.

People ask me and I take them with me......thats open to all.....not 'why don't you go to Collingham, Caythorpe, Attenborough, Hoveringham, Fiskerton, blah, blah, blah'......anywhere where I am not eh!!!!

Remember this Lee.....'tis only o'bit of fishing'.

My apologies to all who have trawled through this post but I couldn't sit here and watch another Lee Fletcher roadshow get on the tarmac......

Yours With Respect.....

Steve.

Dear Steve,

Just popped in for a bit of lunch inbetween enjoying Easter Sunday. Read you rambling post as I ate my lunch.

I'm going to enjoy taking it to pieces with a few home truths from myself later on. Have your evidence ready concerning the village campaign to ban angling at the venue by the way. Names, local meetings etc etc. Did this campaign reach the auspices of the local parish council? Seems to all be about saving a litter strewn area to me?

Nice to see the same old gang gathering once again. I'll stand on my own two feet ta very much.

As I said, catch you later.

Regards,

Lee.