Chub fishing on the broads rivers

SPSwallow

I am going to attempt to stalk for chub over xmas holidays. The only stretch of river I know I can walk up and down is in how hill on the broads, I think the river Ant. Has anyone tried it? Or know if the broads is any good at all for chub? There's a few boats that go up and down, though i'm not sure if there will be at xmas.

Any tips on what bait to make/use and what to look for in terrain will be great. I'm going to use light equipment and take only essentials.

I am going to attempt to stalk for chub over xmas holidays. The only stretch of river I know I can walk up and down is in how hill on the broads, I think the river Ant. Has anyone tried it? Or know if the broads is any good at all for chub? There's a few boats that go up and down, though i'm not sure if there will be at xmas.

Any tips on what bait to make/use and what to look for in terrain will be great. I'm going to use light equipment and take only essentials.

I think you'll have a job targetting chub in the How Hill stretch and I doubt you'll see any to stalk. They're usually easier to stalk in the upper reaches of rivers, where there's more variation in depth and flow. I don't know what the upper reaches of the Ant are like in that respect.

I don't fish for chub in the winter, but you see plenty during the summer months in the upper stretches of the Waveney, Yare and Bure, basically upstream of the limit of navigation.

I can't help with the area but as far as bait goes for wandering around Chubbing I'd look no further than Cheesepaste and Breadcrust.

I'd suggest that the Waveney is your best bet for Chub.

Bungay Cherry Tree waters are worth a look.

Agree the waveney is a good chub river, Havent been up there for a couple of winters but its worth a go. Might give it a look myself in the new year.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

...what to look for in terrain will be great.

All the textbooks state that Chub typically like overhead cover; bushes, shrubs and trees, with the Willow being the classic. Maybe it is for the cover, maybe they wait for insects, bugs and the like to fall off or maybe they just love to get you snagged up should you hook one!?

It might be worth having a stroll down your selected water prior to fishing and put in a bit of hemp in a few selected swims?

Let us all know how you get on...

My mother-in-law to be lives in Harleston, just up the road from the Waveney (but unfortunately not a day ticket stretch), and it does look very inviting indeed.

Geoff