crack off during casting

arthurcodsbody

There are some other reasons not yet mentioned that can cause the unexplainable snap-off / crack - off. The commonest I have found is due to following "expert advice" in certain publications.

Lets use logic to solve the crack-off problem. Todays surf rods are anglings equivalent of the formula 1/2/3 racing cars. The cars are designed to be as light as possible with a low frontal cross-section to enable rapid accelleration and a high maximum speed.

Now lets look at the rods that I see on the beach. These are commonly fitted with rings that weigh as much as 20% of the tip section, whipped on with yards of unneccesary underwhipping, and smothered with several layers of hefty epoxy resin, and to add to this, the recommendation then adds "put a diamite tip ring on, it won't wear out".

So what we have is a modern lightweight fine-tipped carbonfibre blank, loaded with something like 50 grams of excess weight. Try a cast, and the tip will overshoot past straight as the lead goes past, and pull a short extra length of line off the reel. This extra line has no-where to go, as the lead is now decellerating, this is a MAJOR cause of the otherwise unexplainable crack-off. If you need proof, tape a tip ring next to the existing tip ring (but out of the way) on your favourite modern lightweight beachcaster and try a cast. I have used single-leg fly and spinning rings for over 25 years on surf rods, and now mainly use zircon rings with Superbraid (don't let anyone say it won't cast, just learn to use it) on just about every rod I build/rebuild. Yes, they will bend more easily if dropped than the out of the ark rings, I just bend 'em back! The OOTA ring centres usually crack, despite shock liners. Test by running a sharp blade round a suspect ring. A "TIC" means its cracked. Hope this is understandable.

Philthefish

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red Rocket Fuel in the spool bearings. Check there is no oil on the brake block drum...clean with petrol if there is, and clean the blocks. Make sure the reel is not overloaded with line, as one missed timed cast with an over full spool can spell disaster.

Hope this helps.

Wow someone has been digging into the archives! Went back to basics, binned the 525GS and swapped to an abu7500 problem sloved. Am now penduluming again and now with the nemesis castings never been so enjoyable. Thanks for all the posts though guys.

Matt

women love me, fish fear me!!

http://www.alba-rods.co.uk

Riverside Tackle SAC

Wow someone has been digging into the archives! Went back to basics, binned the 525GS and swapped to an abu7500 problem sloved. Am now penduluming again and now with the nemesis castings never been so enjoyable. Thanks for all the posts though guys.

Matt

Glad you got it sorted Matt.

Go easy with the 7500, it's not really the best reel for power casting due to the width of the spool.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Test by running a sharp blade round a suspect ring. A "TIC" means its cracked.

Hi Phil and let me add my welcome to you.

Testing for ring cracks is more easily and effectively done using a Q-tip (cotton bud? - a stick with a small blob of cotton at the end). Just twirl it slowly while the cotton is in contact with the ring surface and if there are any minute cracks, cotton fibers will snag on them.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Testing for ring cracks is more easily and effectively done using a Q-tip (cotton bud? - a stick with a small blob of cotton at the end). Just twirl it slowly while the cotton is in contact with the ring surface and if there are any minute cracks, cotton fibers will snag on them.

Yep, either method works...I have to wear glasses these days, but not a hearing aid (yet)

Philthefish

Yep, either method works...I have to wear glasses these days, but not a hearing aid (yet)

Philthefish

Also thank you to all for the warm welcome...much appreciated.

Philthefish

Also welcome Phil, can see a few interesting posts coming up.

The sharp blade idea does work but can also cause minute abrasion to the shock ring surface if your not extremely carefull. The final diamond polish on the shock rings is in fractions of a micron so unecessary abrasion could result. Newts` idea of the cotton budd will pick up most of the cracks but even fairly heavy guides flex a fraction in use, expand and contract in hot & cold conditions. So even the cotton bud can miss minute cracks that only make themselves known under flexing. In addition the cotton bud can pick up tiny grains of salt, sand or whatever that are not visible to the naked eye and you end up changing an apparent cracked guide when all that was required was cleaning. This method works fine of the guide has been thoroughly cleaned prior to testing.

You can save a bit of time and heartache if you simply paint the shock ring with industrial acetone plus addative which, 1) cleans it and 2) reacts to a UV torch beam. Even the most minute of cracks will show as a white line. It will also pick up cracks which have started but have not yet reached the wearing surface of the shock ring but probably will in time. You have about twenty minutes or so to check with the UV as the acetone, whilst evaporating off the surface, will soak into the crack or hairline and remain there a good bit longer.

welcome again, Stan.

Philthefish

Also thank you to all for the warm welcome...much appreciated.

Philthefish

You guy's are taking me back a bit.

I used to do a lot of surf casting in the 60s/70s, I was a friend of Terry Carrol. Does anybody know if he is still about, I lost contact when I moved back home to gods country.

Spent many a pleasant evening on the beaches of Brighton and the West Pier.

Sorry if I have highjacked the thread, but in them days we were casting about the 160/170 yds, my pb was 171yds. Terry was casting a lot further.

Terry is still fit and healthy and producing some superb blanks (as always)

He is a big sponser of the UKSF and turns up there quite often.

He is a wealth of knowledge and very interesting to talk to :0)

KIR ;0)