Problem with installation of XP over Vista?

Chris Goddard

I'm trying to replace Vista with XP on a laptop and XP can't even detect a hard drive.

I've got a floppy dos boot disc but nowhere to put it.

3 questions Jim.

1. Can you get your PC to boot from your XP CD-ROM?

2. If the answer to Q1 is Yes, where about in the installation process does the XP install fail?

3. Make/Model of your lappy?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 questions Jim.

1. Can you get your PC to boot from your XP CD-ROM?

2. If the answer to Q1 is Yes, where about in the installation process does the XP install fail?

3. Make/Model of your lappy?

The laptop is not mine, and the guarantee has recently run out.

It boots from the XP cd but cannot find a hard drive to install XP on. Xp doesn't recognise Vista fomatted drives, and how could it be expected to! The files appear to be loading into memory OK.

It's an ACER Inspire from PC world that came with Vista pre-installed but with no recovery disc.

There are 2 partitions that I have formatted with vista and both now have vista installed on them using a cd I got with a different laptop. They need to be activated, but ar already in use on my laptop.

The original problem, with the pre-installed version of Vista, was a black screen with a cursor flashing in the top left corner just after the ACER logo screen.

The file system is NTFS.

The owner went to a local PC shop today but they wouldn't wipe in without he gave them £80 for a new version of XP, a bit much, considering Microsoft won't probably support it much longer, I thought.

A bootable Dos cd is probably what's wanted so Fdisk can be used to wipe Vista off.

I copied the files from a startup floppy to a USB stick and tried booting form that, but just got a disc error message.

I would also like to put XP on my own laptop. Haven't tried that yet.

Edited by Jim Roper

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Jim, just re-visited this as I now want to do the same again with my old PC which a young friend has been playing with! And I'm quite sure I did an Fdisk to get rid and then reinstalled XP? I will be trying later today so will get back with my findings for you if that is ok?

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Jim, just re-visited this as I now want to do the same again with my old PC which a young friend has been playing with! And I'm quite sure I did an Fdisk to get rid and then reinstalled XP? I will be trying later today so will get back with my findings for you if that is ok?

I will have to get the files on a dos startup disc copied to a CD and then use Fdisk and Format from it.

Not got round to it yet.

Right Jim I remembered!! You need to alter the bios to boot from the CD drive. Boot from it with the XP cd in and that will allow you to fdisk and install XP!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Right Jim I remembered!! You need to alter the bios to boot from the CD drive. Boot from it with the XP cd in and that will allow you to fdisk and install XP!!

And if fdisk is not on the XP CD?

It is, it will, Fdisk when you go to install the new version of windows. But because you are not booting the machine to the windows installed it will work from the CD.

Chris Goddard

It is, it will, Fdisk when you go to install the new version of windows. But because you are not booting the machine to the windows installed it will work from the CD.

There's no Fdisk on my XP cd.

There's no Fdisk on my XP cd.
Not as such no, but when you get to the bit in the installation that asks you where you want to install XP tell it to remove all the partitions on the c drive and then create a new partition and then quick format it as NTFS.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote