Problem with installation of XP over Vista?

Chris Goddard

Not as such no, but when you get to the bit in the installation that asks you where you want to install XP tell it to remove all the partitions on the c drive and then create a new partition and then quick format it as NTFS.

Thanks Cory, MUCH more eloquent than my version!! Even I can associate with that!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not as such no, but when you get to the bit in the installation that asks you where you want to install XP tell it to remove all the partitions on the c drive and then create a new partition and then quick format it as NTFS.

But the XP boot can't see a hard drive because it is formatted using Vista.

I've just tried it on my own laptop but the dvd drive appears to have packed up!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Jim, honest mate I am not very good myself but believe you me it does work! But alas not without a drive! Sorry can't help with that one mate! :-)

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

But the XP boot can't see a hard drive because it is formatted using Vista.

I've just tried it on my own laptop but the dvd drive appears to have packed up!

I suspect that the issue is that the XP setup cannot see the hard drive because it does not have a driver for the hard disk controller. I can assure you that if it were a standard ide controller xp will happily wipe the 'foreign' vista partition. Without a USB floppy drive your going to be up the creek with no paddle.

To make the XP setup read the floppy press f6 when XP setup asks you to. You should see the prompt to press f6 at the bottom of the screen.

Which Acer Aspire is it you have? There are lots of models in this range.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote