Holding back

The Flying Tench

I float-fished a swim on the Kennet today which I'm told is normally good for dace, but it was quite slow. I was trotting down to a tree with branches into the water, and towards the end of the session I tried holding back at the end of each trot for maybe a couple of minutes with the float right under the tree branches. Very rarely did I detect a bite, but each time the maggot came back smashed (the few fish I did connect with were mostly small roach, with a couple of dace).

I think I understand what was happening. When I held back, the bait naturally rose in the water making a straight line between rod tip, float and bait so the tension in the line from the rod tip was stopping the float going under.

I was using a float taking 5 number 4 shot, about 18 inches over depth and shotted right down. The flow was about 3mph. Presumably I needed a heavier float to give a steeper angle?

The thing is, most of my float fishing is in such conditions. I don't hold back at the end of the run for so long, but of course I do hold back at times. So I am wondering if I shouldn't always be fishing with a much heavier float? What do others do?

john clarke

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FT I generally hold back only few moments to allow my bait to rise up then release it so it can drop down as it goes on in the flow. I more often thannot use a float carrying 6 or 7 BB's. Where you shotted button style or bulk style ? Also how far from your hook was your last shot ?

I float-fished a swim on the Kennet today which I'm told is normally good for dace, but it was quite slow. I was trotting down to a tree with branches into the water, and towards the end of the session I tried holding back at the end of each trot for maybe a couple of minutes with the float right under the tree branches. Very rarely did I detect a bite, but each time the maggot came back smashed (the few fish I did connect with were mostly small roach, with a couple of dace).

I think I understand what was happening. When I held back, the bait naturally rose in the water making a straight line between rod tip, float and bait so the tension in the line from the rod tip was stopping the float going under.

I was using a float taking 5 number 4 shot, about 18 inches over depth and shotted right down. The flow was about 3mph. Presumably I needed a heavier float to give a steeper angle?

The thing is, most of my float fishing is in such conditions. I don't hold back at the end of the run for so long, but of course I do hold back at times. So I am wondering if I shouldn't always be fishing with a much heavier float? What do others do?

I use much heavier floats - usually 2.5ssg on the Kennet - heavier on faster waters like the Itchen. (Incidently I reckon the flow rate would have been quite a bit slower than 3pmh - which is actually pretty quick for a river!). I'm a big fan of holding back - bites however are usaully quite savage and unmissable - which is why I like it! I suspect some of the maggot smashing happening before the flaot got to the holding back area - or it was minnas!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I generally trot with a 2SSG loafer or avon. I thought they’d be too big when I bought them but even minnows seem able to drag them under.

The shotting pattern obviously depends on water depth & flow but as rule of thumb I bunch the two swan shot together about 18 inches from the hook and then a much smaller shot about 4 inches from the hook. Theory being that the bulk weight will keep the line between float and weight relatively vertical, most of the waving around occurs below the swan shot. In a fast flow it’s less effective but on gentle rivers it works quite well.

As regards bite detection when holding back if conditions/trees allow then I hold the rod up high to keep the line clear of the water, easier with a long rod. You’ll be surprised at how far away the float can be with you still in direct contact.

Have you tried using braid? I’ve found that even with the line in the water when holding back you can feel every little nip and pluck although often the float won’t dip.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I generally trot with a 2SSG loafer or avon. I thought they’d be too big when I bought them but even minnows seem able to drag them under.

The shotting pattern obviously depends on water depth & flow but as rule of thumb I bunch the two swan shot together about 18 inches from the hook and then a much smaller shot about 4 inches from the hook. Theory being that the bulk weight will keep the line between float and weight relatively vertical, most of the waving around occurs below the swan shot. In a fast flow it’s less effective but on gentle rivers it works quite well.

As regards bite detection when holding back if conditions/trees allow then I hold the rod up high to keep the line clear of the water, easier with a long rod. You’ll be surprised at how far away the float can be with you still in direct contact.

Have you tried using braid? I’ve found that even with the line in the water when holding back you can feel every little nip and pluck although often the float won’t dip.

Good thought. I got some braid last year. Not ideal - got it 'on offer', and the lightest they had was 8lb bs, but it's still reasonably fine diameter - and then I've forgotten all about it! I'll give it another try!

Edited by The Flying Tench

john clarke

That doesn't mean anything. Minnows will happily pull a pike float under. I think it's just the minnow shoal mentality that means that once an individual has your bait, it's not going to let 'anyone' else have it, regardless of resistance. I don't why it's just minnows that seem to throw caution to the wind. Roach shoal up in large numbers but they'll drop a bait if there's too much float resistance. Maybe minnows are just bolder or just plain daft? I don't know but I know what you mean. I've used some really big Avon's, loafers, chubbers, grayling and even bubble floats and minnows will try and pull them under.

Edited by Andy Macfarlane

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Minnows will happily pull a pike float under.

...and that's just the run-of-the-mill quarter-ounce minnow!

Any advice on the tackle with which to attack the 13.5 dram British record ?

Think of the power of a one-ounce minnow :):) ...

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Basicly the amount of shot you need is the amount that keeps the bait at the depth you want DESPITE holding back hard.Some time this may mean the float actually will sink if not held back if you after max sensitivity! Others its better to simply up the size of the float.Remember the best way to look at it is that all a float does is carry the required amount of shot.

Despite the allready mentioned reason of lifting the bait in the water so it can fish on the drop again or the traditional holding back solid at the end of the trot to make the bait rise (does any one actually find this worth while despite what doctrine says?) the main reason for holding back is to slow the bait to the same speed as the current near the bottom.

For those who dont know the current at the bottom of the river (due to friction against the river bed) is a lot slower than at the surface (ie where the float is)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!