help needed

bluerinse

Hi I have posted this on the fly forum as well , but I know many of you do fly fish so Thought I woulod post it here to if thats ok.

Im after some help, I want to go camping and fly fishing in the uk, I would like the area to be remote, I would also like to have a camp fire in the evenings, I don't mind what type of flyfishing, if its river, small river, Lake etc...

It would be best if the camp was on the water edge.

I am planning to go at the end of May with 2 freinds, We have been scouring the internet but don't seem able to find this kind of facility.

Belive it or not having a camp fire seems not alowed anymore.

many thanks for any help

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Hi I have posted this on the fly forum as well , but I know many of you do fly fish so Thought I woulod post it here to if thats ok.

Im after some help, I want to go camping and fly fishing in the uk, I would like the area to be remote, I would also like to have a camp fire in the evenings, I don't mind what type of flyfishing, if its river, small river, Lake etc...

It would be best if the camp was on the water edge.

I am planning to go at the end of May with 2 freinds, We have been scouring the internet but don't seem able to find this kind of facility.

Belive it or not having a camp fire seems not alowed anymore.

many thanks for any help

Having campfires is frowned upon in the UK, you can have usually have a camping stove and on some waters you can take disposable barbequeues but even that is frowned upon because of the rubbish sometimes discarded afterwards on most waters here. You can understand this to a degree as no-one wants to fish a lake or river with old fire ashes left on the bank; plus the associated rubbish that people can leave with it (Cans, Packets etc.). even if you are camping you would normally just take a camping stove instead of building a fire. Plus the dangers of starting fires in the countryside when its dry.

Someone may be able to suggest somewhere in the UK however there are not many places that would allow it these days.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Having campfires is frowned upon in the UK, you can have usually have a camping stove and on some waters you can take disposable barbequeues but even that is frowned upon because of the rubbish sometimes discarded afterwards on most waters here. You can understand this to a degree as no-one wants to fish a lake or river with old fire ashes left on the bank; plus the associated rubbish that people can leave with it (Cans, Packets etc.). even if you are camping you would normally just take a camping stove instead of building a fire. Plus the dangers of starting fires in the countryside when its dry.

Someone may be able to suggest somewhere in the UK however there are not many places that would allow it these days.

Thanks for the reply, I can find campsites that allow fires, even campsites that have course fishing and allow fires, what I can't find is a campsite that has fly-fishing and allows fires.

The best I have found so far is a campsite in Cumbria that allows campfires and has a fly fishery 2 miles down the road, but its a stocked lake that charges £35 a day with a 3 fish limit no Catch and release!, I was looking for something more natural. If anyone knows a farmer with a stream or river with trout that will let me camp etc please let me know. Or a remote mountain lake with trout that I can fish with a near by campsite would be great.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

There are a few places in the Lake District where you can "wild camp" next to hill tarns and fish for brownies. It is something that is tolerated, but there is no legal right do it though and lighting a fire is almost certain to get you sent packing. They don't allow you to camp at ground level except on official camp sites (but the instant pitch tents that you can throw up in the dark make that a bit difficult to police ;) ) Wales is equally restrictive.

Scotland is a completely different matter. There you have a right to camp anywhere on open land as long as you are more than 100m from a road. And, as a local once said to me when I asked about camping on an island, "The nearest policeman is thirty miles away in Glasgow, what do you think he's going to do?"

Have you considered saltwater fly fishing, there tend to be more campsites near the sea!

Colin is right about Scotland, many years ago we camped by Loch Fiag in Sutherland, access was up a long narrow dirt track off the A838 by Loch Shin, the track was very rough and undulating, in fact our Mini van bottomed out at one stage, we had to lift it off the hump, but we had a wonderful week fishing and living on the Trout (we were fed up with Trout by the end of the week though :D ) we were so far from anybody or anything it was lovely, as Colin said camp fires were not a problem, but bear in mind there are next to no trees up there, finding firewood was difficult

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive