Four Fodens and a Funeral

Tog

Not been about on here to much lately - huge amount of work on and major upheaval in my home life - now divorced me.

But to cap a fairly rotten year off my dad died from prostate cancer a few weeks back (he had been ill a long time).

And although this was a very sad time for my mother, brothers and myself we managed to give dad the send off he deserved.

DSCF12231.jpg

The cortage was led by his Foden 'Timber tractor' Samantha - pulling a trailer carrying his coffin, my brothers - grandsons and myself walking behind followed by three other Foden wagons.

We had a nice walk of 1 mile and a half and all the drivers we delayed were very understanding, many 'tradesmen standing beside their vans as we passed - the Police were also helpful and discreet, letting my brothers and myself control the traffic in problem areas and keeping the 'flou' jackets to a minimum.

DSCF12321.jpg

DSCF12281-1.jpg

When we reached the centre of the village the front of the cortage waited outside the pub while the rear engines turned around at the church so we could pass and stop outside.

This also allowed the many hundreds of my dads friends to view the cortage before entering the church.

DSCF12331-1.jpg

My three brothers and I carried my dad's coffin into the church - seemed like their was nothing on my shoulder?

And my main worry during the 'bearing' was if the huge lump of steam coal on the coffin was going to end up on my head!

DSCF1226.jpg

My hand was sore at the end of the day from meeting so many of my dads friends and acquaintances, many of whom recalled tall tales of my fathers exploits (most nearly true). And although for our family is was a sad occasion it was made more bearable by the support of so many whom came to show respect for him.

We even had a fairground organ outside the wake playing my dads favorite tunes - and requests, all in all a bit of a lighter side to the occasion.

I know a few of you are interested in things steamy - a lucky few have had rides on our engines, we expect his full obituary to be in the February issues of 'Old Glory' and 'Vintage Spirit' as well as next weeks 'Worlds fair'.

After the last few weeks I've not really been able to get into the Xmas spirit - but it felt like the season started for me last Friday, a Merry Xmas to you all.

Mark (Tog).

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

What a send off!

Sorry to hear your bad news. Best wishes from Peggy and me for a better year next year.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Tog, sat here with tears in my eyes. Apart from the wagons that SO reminds me of my Dad and his passing!!! The Prostate cancer, the divorce the lot!!!

BUT wish you and ALL of yours the best Xmas you can have and it DOES get easier mate, it DOES get easier!! 8 years now and I still think of him fondly most days!!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

That's what you call a send off................ thanks for the post Tog,

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Many thanks for your messages.

On a 'fishy' note - the bridge that the engine is crossing on the 1st pic (and parked beside) is over 'The Bourne rivulet' of Test / Bourne fame - the one fished by 'Plunket Green' in his book 'where bright the waters meet'.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Sorry to hear of your loss, but what a splendid send-off . That means a lot to a "steam man" , his relatives and his mates.

Many of my friends at the Bluebell Railway receive a similar farewell - all too many of them recently.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Tog, What a cracking send off mate...He was a very lucky guy to have family and friends like you all..

I hope you and yours can make the best of Xmas and New Year...good luck in the future mate..:)

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/