Cod in a tidal river

phil dean

Just had an interesting lunch hour, I went fishing outside of the office to see if any course fish/trout were present at Newcastle. I fished lobworm on a ledger rig.

The result was interesting 2 codling and one whiting, at low tide (ie when there is most fresh water) 11 miles in land.

Indeed though my fish were small, the chap up stream from me had a lovely codling about 2lb and told a tale of a 7lber caught in front of the Copthorne Hotel.

I do most of my sea fishing on the Beach or Piers and rarely have such success.........is it normal for cod to come this far up river???

[ 07. March 2003, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: phil dean ]

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

I know of a bloke from Kilsyth who, while freelining worm on the Carron River in Denny for Brown Trout caught a flounder and that must be at least 15miles from the Forth Estuary, seemingly they get accustomed very quickly to fresh water. But to catch cod 11miles upstream is another thing....

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

There are two ponds in and around york with flounder in then Railway pond and elvington

also i was told of some one in linconshire was troting for roach and got a small bass

matchies on the river hull at tickton catch flounder in matchiee

has any one court fresh warer fish in the sea ?????

DD

Its certainly not uncommon to catch cod 10 miles from the sea in the Humber and there was a 14lb pike at old hall a mark which is very close to the sea, it was after heavy rainfall though and the pike was stone dead.

I'd heard about the Sea trout Yoxer, but the cod was a surprise.

been out again this morning before coming to my desk and had a few more.

Apparently cod have been caught as far up stream as the scotswood bridge which is 15 miles in land, and unlike the humber which stays wide for some considerable distance in land (hence the humber bridge which must be nearly 10 miles from the sea)the tyne is quite narrow after the first mile or two.

Just thought I'd mention it because I've only ever had flatties and coalies this far in land.

Darth, never had the flatties at Elvington but they're caught at Ulleskelf on the ouse/ure, which must be 30 - 40 miles in land. There is a pond at Washington, Barmston to be precise, where they pump water in from the river wear every now and then, they have an excellent head of flatties.

I have noticed that there are dozens more codling this season as opposed to last, up here in the North East, thankfully too small to be of interest to the trawlers, may their nets have holes in, so touch wood, things may be improving in the North Sea, we'll be Blue fin Tuna fishing by next year.............

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

It`s not unusual to catch sea fish on the extremes of the tidal reach. Though I must admit that codling are a tad out of the ordinary!!

I regularly catch small dabs in a freshwater pool, that only gets an influx of sea-water 3-4hrs every day? The small bridge 20yds upstream holds rainbow trout!!

How come bass and mullet are caught 6 miles upstream?

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

I've caught brownies from the peg I've been catching these codling at, had two codling and a 1lb flatty today (2 hour session on an ebbing tide), it really is quite strange, but great fun, I've even been out and bought grip leads etc, aberdeen hooks, beeds, I could almost get into this. I had a shot off Sunderland Pier last night but only had a small plaice, prefer the river for now.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Norrie:

I know of a bloke from Kilsyth who, while freelining worm on the Carron River in Denny for Brown Trout caught a flounder and that must be at least 15miles from the Forth Estuary, seemingly they get accustomed very quickly to fresh water. But to catch cod 11miles upstream is another thing....

When I was a nipper we used to catch flounder all the way up the River Leven and in Loch Lomond too.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote