Cod in a tidal river

phil dean

spasor:

It`s not unusual to catch sea fish on the extremes of the tidal reach. Though I must admit that codling are a tad out of the ordinary!!

I regularly catch small dabs in a freshwater pool, that only gets an influx of sea-water 3-4hrs every day? The small bridge 20yds upstream holds rainbow trout!!

How come bass and mullet are caught 6 miles upstream?

Paul.

I fish for bass and mullet on the River Itchin. I won't fish in fresh water in England as being a Scot I disapprove of the principle of a rod licence. Too much like a 'tax on angling'.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Carp, Cod, Roach, Mullet, Dabs, flounder, Bream, Tench, Perch, Pike, Whiting, Chub and Eels

are all caught 10-12 miles up the River Deben near Melton and River Orwell Ipswich docks.

These are big Tidal rivers. The fish get caught in the Brackish water.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

It seems that cod are caught far upstream. But only from `big` rivers? Should I be fishing off Chiswich bridge in London next winter?

I`m not taking the puss either. I was brought up near the river Usk in South Wales. Even though the Bristol Channel is stuffed full of cod during the winter, we never even thought of fishing for cod. With a tidal difference of 40ft we just thought we were wasting our time?

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!