No white Texas Xmas

Vagabond

Still looking for the white crappie though.

Sounds like fun. I target crappies extensively here in Michigan in winter.

White and black crappie are similar species and are also called speckled bass. They feed very well after dark and may be found all along the water column from top to bottom, and minnows are probably their favorite prey. I target them through the ice inside my heated shanty (bivvy) using a vexilar to locate them electronically. Great fun. There are times when they occupy the entire vex cone. I use 18" inch ice rods with small jigs tipped with minnows suspended beneath a small slip-bobber (float). Their bite is very light, unless they're in suicide mode and feel like smashing the bait. Also, I suspend an underwater light to draw them in, like moths to a lamp. As lutra noted, sometimes they hit on the drop. If your line stops, set the hook.

I can't wait to get out there. Good luck with your angling.

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

I target crappies extensively here in Michigan in winter........through the ice inside my heated shanty (bivvy) using a vexilar to locate them electronically. Great fun.

Sounds fascinating, Ice fishing is one branch of the art I have no experience of - have an ice rod though which I picked up for a quid ($1.45) somewhere.

Must have a go sometime, either in N America or Scandinavia.

How thick does your ice have to be for that sort of fishing?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Sounds fascinating, Ice fishing is one branch of the art I have no experience of - have an ice rod though which I picked up for a quid ($1.45) somewhere.

Must have a go sometime, either in N America or Scandinavia.

How thick does your ice have to be for that sort of fishing?

I won't venture out onto the ice unless it's at least 4 inches thick. Anything thinner is just tooo dangerous and not worth the risk. Ice 12 inches thick will support vehicles, but I don't do that either. I've heard too many horror stories and there's nothing wrong with my legs.

I'll post some photos of my setup when I get out in another week or so.

~ Mark Twain

Nice one Dave,sounds like you and Norma are having a ball.Looking forward to the pictures :)

Severus tight lines with your ice fishing mate,also looking forward to your report,would just love a bash at that :rolleyes:

The closest I am getting to fishing at the moment is to still be churning out my oz reports.Still got a few to go including the biggie :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Ice 12 inches thick will support vehicles

LOL "Only in America"

That sounds like an expression of faith rather than science. :)

Like you I would prefer to walk also.

Looking forward to your report - good luck with the crappies

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I must confess, I once drove my truck out onto the ice on Lake Huron, Vagabond, in a moment of weakness. I was lucky I didn't end up like this. He's lucky it was shallow.

97139_240x240.JPG

~ Mark Twain