when will the mackerel be here

***Simon***

Whole macky and a 12/0 it is from now on then!!

Rose and Lee are well and Lee made it back without any incidents after picking up the boat - They have just moved and are both working hard to raise funds so that they can move up here.

I must have missed your earlier posts but I'll let him know that you were asking after him as I ought to give him a quick call and let him know how it is fishing up here.

Have you seen any Orcas yet?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya,

We were catching mackies, fishing on the bottom in 400' over the weekend :confused:

They were taking small strips of Mackerel fished hard on to or just near the bottom.. I've had this in the past in shallow stuff like 100' but never in the 400' :):)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

We've got them up here in Lewis in good numbers as usual, they turned up earlier this year as did the Herring ... and the quantities of Herring are best I've seen in a number of years.

Fished for Mackerel for bait on Saturday, and had no problems getting plenty of them ... was a pretty good days fishing in my eyes, as I had 3 new species for me ... Turbot, Cuckoo Ray, and Tub Gurnard. Mackerel were so plentiful, those who's reels were slower were getting caught up with them on the way down.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

We had to punch thru the macks on Saturday also - Now here's a weird one (for me anyway), I went out on a reccy for shore marks with Tuggs this evening and found a Armadale Bay which was full of gulls, I mean littered with them. When we dropped down onto the beach the gulls took off and you could see loads of clumps of sandeels that had not even been part digested but just puked up. I guess they are gorging themselves on them at the moment as are the macks that we opened up the other day?

Well done on the new species Gillies

Hiya,

Well done on the new species Gillies :)

Fingers crossed, I'll be targeting turbot etc next week if we can get the weather to reach the marks. :)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Tiggs, think you could be right there ... birds getting so many Sandeels they cant take them all in one go. A lot of the Pollack we are getting are full up with Pipefish, have been for last 2-3 years.

Davy has taken me 17 years of boat angling with my club to get a Turbot, the commercials wiped out all the decent fish from the known marks over the years ...... all it takes is a few sweeps from trawlers, or a load of gill nets ... and thats it.

Good luck in your trip out for them!

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com