Okuma Interceptor pro ipb 350

SPSwallow

I've just bought this reel. Unfortunatly reels never come with any instructions of how to use the live bait system, the clutch or drag mechanisms. I still haven't learned how to use reels because they never think to teach these things in magazines and books. Help would be great, cheers

I've just bought this reel. Unfortunatly reels never come with any instructions of how to use the live bait system, the clutch or drag mechanisms. I still haven't learned how to use reels because they never think to teach these things in magazines and books. Help would be great, cheers

I've been playing with it a while to figure it out. I'm assuming the clutch is there to absorb a fishes efforts by giving out a bit of line depending on how it is set. The problem with that is it only works when you push the live bait system on. When you reel in it knocks it off, also making the clutch useless. So if i'm winding in a fish i'd have to be psychic to know when the fish is going to pull hard so that i know when to flip the switch on beforehand enabling the clutch. ??!??!. I don't get it

It seems that you may be a touch on the novitiate side, so I will try to explain this as clearly as possible.

To set the main clutch, adjust it by turning so that it gives line before it reaches the breaking strain of the line.

To set the baitfeeder, it depends upon the water you're fishing and the style of fishing....

I keep the baitfeeder clutch set fairly loose if fishing open water and almost locked up if fishing the margins - if I actually use the facility at all. The baitfeeder is automatically disengaged when the reel handle is turned, or the lever flicked off manually.

I have a couple of Okuma Dynadrags which work on the same layout as the Interceptor and 5 Shimano Baitrunners which are generally regarded as the benchmark for freespool reels.

For general fishing,use the main clutch, but if you're going to be feeder fishing, sat with the rod in a rest or on a pod, then the freespool (baitfeeder) facility comes in to its own.

Hope this is of some use... also, if any other members disagree, or can put it more clerly than I have, please feel free.....

Edited by Alan Stubbs

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

I've been playing with it a while to figure it out. I'm assuming the clutch is there to absorb a fishes efforts by giving out a bit of line depending on how it is set. The problem with that is it only works when you push the live bait system on. When you reel in it knocks it off, also making the clutch useless. So if i'm winding in a fish i'd have to be psychic to know when the fish is going to pull hard so that i know when to flip the switch on beforehand enabling the clutch. ??!??!. I don't get it

The screw on the rear of the reel is not the clutch. This sets the resistance of the free spool mechanism and controls how easily the fish takes line against the baitrunner.

Once you reel in and the baitrunner clicks off the clutch is controlled by the screw on the front of the spool, so you can have your clutch for playing the fish set at what you want.

Hope this make sense

Dave

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Thanks. It makes more sense now. So the knob at the back is just for conrolling resistance for the bait runner. The one at the front is for playing fish

Roger that :thumbs:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

when i first started i never knew this either, i always thought that the knob at the front was only for keeping the spool on the reel but no its also your drag :D just test it by loosening it and pulling the line with your hand.

i always prefer front drag systems vs rear drag ive played with a few and the clutch on them are mince they are not zs smooth as front drags though i have heard from some people that some reels have a perfectly fine rear drag system that id be happy to use (only by recomendation)

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

• 1 year later...
when i first started i never knew this either, i always thought that the knob at the front was only for keeping the spool on the reel but no its also your drag :D just test it by loosening it and pulling the line with your hand.

i always prefer front drag systems vs rear drag ive played with a few and the clutch on them are mince they are not zs smooth as front drags though i have heard from some people that some reels have a perfectly fine rear drag system that id be happy to use (only by recomendation)

Cheers, this old post just helped me with my new Okuma reel which I thought was bust! Not had a baitrunner type reel before.