Whats Your best Pike dead bait?

Quest

Quest:

Mine at the momemnt is sprats.

Pike is a very risky buisness all round but with a small bait such as a sprat can be very dangerous indeed. Some times a Pike will pick up a bait and swallow it on the spot with the resulting consequences. Like deep hooking !!

Please used bigger bait like sardine,mackerel and so on.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to be hard up for decent baits to use Bleak Nugg! Seriously though out of interest how do you fish them?

My favourite dead bait must be half a mackeral for a seabait and fresh roach for a coarse bait.But after saying that it really depends on the water.I dont bother wasting my dough on some of the more exotic ones though,never found a need for anything special.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I've had pike over 20 lb on the following deads: smelt, mackerel, herring, eel, roach, bream; doubles on others including sardine, pilchard, grayling, dace, chub, sprat, trout, lamprey, etc.

To be honest, I'm confident in whatever I use as long as the size and quality is excellent... but on some waters you will find a definite preference for coarse baits or sea baits. Eel section seems to work everywhere.

I agree with Peter Waller: forget naturals for wobbled baits - shads and big soft plastics are better. So are some jerkbaits.

Incidentally, instead of popping up a dead, try suspending it under a float. Sometimes (like, often!) it works better.

Hope that helps.

Fenboy