Whats Your best Pike dead bait?

Quest

Peter Waller:

I really can't see the sense in killing any fish for wobbling. Soft bodied shads and mag.grubz do the job as well if not better. Personally I avoid adding weight unless the river currant dictates a need. In still water I avoid additional weights like the plague!

Are these rubber shads that you fix your own hooks to? I guess I must get some. Can you recommend a reasonably priced version?

Why do you avoid weights like the plague in still water for wobbling? Is it that the pike see the weights?

john clarke

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shads are easily available, often from the sea section of your local tackle shop. Cheap as chips in Sea Angler magazine.

You can rig 'em as a deadbait, either on a snap tackle or by threading a trace through them with a hook dangling from the vent area. You can also use a piece of wire, or a screw sort of affair, stuffed into the 'mouth'.

The reason I don't like adding weight is because the action is impinged upon. Try it & judge for yourself.

Those rubber shads are some of the most effective baits going. A great advantage with them is that you can easily use your standard hooks with them, instead of putting up with those pike maiming monstrosities that seem to pass as lure hooks in some quarters. I usually use a small drilled bullet on the trace and fish them in a kind of sink and draw style. I find that the weight actually enhances them. A good tip is to mount them on your trace with a baiting needle, so that the leading swivel is brought out at 90 degrees to the head, in the gill cover area. This imparts a crazy action so that if you get it right, you almost have to play the lure back in.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Peter Waller:

I really can't see the sense in killing any fish for wobbling. Soft bodied shads and mag.grubz do the job as well if not better. Personally I avoid adding weight unless the river currant dictates a need. In still water I avoid additional weights like the plague!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like rubber shads but not as much as Bulldawgs ,Sandras or Grubs! They would never replace a natural deadbait for wobbling in my books though.An artificial needs to be moving to atract but the way I use a wobbled bait involves periods when it is left static.Also no shad I have ever found can be fished as slow as a dead natural.

As for not putting weights on.At first my thoughts were that I totally agreed with this for all lures.Weights in general tend to spoil the lures action,but I then thought about jig heads! so it isnt as cut and dried as that!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

If I rowed any slower whilst trolling I would stop!!

But that shads sink faster than a naturel bait is a point. Just an untried thought though, pop-ups and fine tuned shads, got to be worth trying! The rubber duck is out of the bath tonight! It'll be shads and cork balls from now on.

[ 01. December 2004, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Guest sslatter

Moving off-topic slightly, but a question for Peter W. et al:-

Have you ever used those 'real fish' lures? The ones that are impressed with a hologram/photo of a real fish? Balzer make some- Colonel 3D wobblers, in roach, rudd, perch, pike and trout.

Anyone had any success piking with these?