The Gambia

Elton

Posted on behalf of Jim:

quote:

I will be going to The Gambia around Nov/December this year. Do you have any information on the types of fishing available and suitable telescopic rod types, reels, line, lures etc. e.g. heavy or light, that I might take with me.

Many Thanks

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Elton:

Posted on behalf of Jim:

quote:

I will be going to The Gambia around Nov/December this year. Do you have any information on the types of fishing available and suitable telescopic rod types, reels, line, lures etc. e.g. heavy or light, that I might take with me.

Many Thanks

:cool: There is a company that charters boats out there, I believe at least one skippered boat and a couple of self drives. I don't have their details handy but I'm sure you could find them on the internet. A mate of mine went 2 years ago and said he wouldn't go again as the fishing wasn't a patch on what it was 10 years ago and it's got worse each year. He blames lack of dredging of the river, gill nets offshore and overfishing, sounds familiar doesn't it. So before you book find out if the fishing has improved. :D

i can put you in touch with a guy who will take you beach fishing along the coast in a land rover also another guy who runs boat charters, both are english and the fish9ing that time of year will be better than when i usually go in febuary.

Good luck in the Gambia you will certainly need it. I have spent a great deal of time in Africa but would never go back to the Gambia again. Fishing rubbish and the locals live of hassling tourists. Never had such a totally bad experience anywhere else in the world. Plus most other anglers who have been there that i spoke to found it exactly the same. Nightmare!!!

• 4 months later...

theres a boat that goes out of oyster creek called the white warior...the one on go fishing..it has a new owner , also mark the old owner of the boat has opened an outfit of smaller boats that were operating from the sunwing hotel....however i hav'nt been there for a few years now and things change all the time....

fishing off old denton bridge is awesome...also there is a metal pier close to the african village hotel which was also productive for snapper..stingray...cuda...cajelly and casrva (excuse the spelling).... i also caught a couple of sea snakes off this pier so be carefull ...it may not be an eel

kev

i also caught a couple of sea snakes off this pier so be careful

There are no sea snakes in the Atlantic. What is commonly caught in the Gambia is the Saddled Snake Eel - yellow with six or seven black half-bands (saddles) . We had them up to about five pounds.

Mark's assistants are terrified of them! Whenever one was hooked they cut the line. These eels are very active, with bevelled but sharp teeth, capable of a nasty bite - but snakes they are not.

The Cassava Croaker and Bosoro Croaker are called "Ladyfish" by the locals - good sport and good eating.

One to be wary of eating is the Atlantic Puffer - called "Butterfish" by the locals. Only eat one if it has been prepared by a Wolof fisherman. There are plenty of these "Butterfish" off the hotel beaches.

Lots of other things might turn up, Dentex Bream, Guitar Fish (Angel Shark), Barracuda , etc.

If you can hire a boat, fish the mangrove creeks, casting close to the mangroves as if you are after crafty old chub hiding under willow bushes - you might pick up a good snapper that way.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

ahhhhh...... u are right about the locals being afraid of them..i cleared that pier... the wife burnt the line with her cigarette to release it....

i know there used to be a charter from oyster creek to the senegal cost for sail fish...a week was about £500... which seemed very reasonable

kev