Idiot question from new member ..... 35mm ?

watervole

erm .... anyone else a 35mm film user ? ..... have had a digital for a few years but much happier with my old nikon and tele .... with the digital I found that I was taking the pics but not saving or printing the photos ... seems a bit pointless so I reverted to the old nikon .... at least I get them printed !

We have gone totally digital and sold or gave away all the film cameras.

Would not want to go back. I like being able to shoot lots of 'iffy' photos with the idea that a few will come out and I can just delete the ones that didn't. I was always too cheap to do that with film.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I still have my "old" 35mm but use it only for slide film now. To be honest I've not used it since last May and probably not again till I feel I can afford the film. I tend to use it only for special occasions cos I know it will out live digital and paper prints. Folk tend to think your wierd now when you can't immediatley show them what they have just seen anyway LOL and I tend to get comments like "Oh my phone is 10 billion megapixels and I can see the picture now not in weeks".

If all else fails, follow the intructions.

erm .... anyone else a 35mm film user ? ..... have had a digital for a few years but much happier with my old nikon and tele .... with the digital I found that I was taking the pics but not saving or printing the photos ... seems a bit pointless so I reverted to the old nikon .... at least I get them printed !

If you don't get them printed or save them to the PC then presumably you don't want them. That being the case, you're just wasting money on buying the film and getting it printed out. Presumably you then have piles of pictures you don't want that then get chucked or piled in the loft.

At the very least with digital pics it's easy to save them as albums (folders) on the PC and to upload and pass them around.

I too have lots of old photo cameras but they will all be sold off or scrapped.

Rob.

I traded all my film cameras and lenses when I changed to Digital 4 or 5 years ago. I actualy came out with money in my pocket after the trade. That was a very early Nikon D100 appropriate lenses etc. On reflection, do I wish I had kept one film camera . . . . not on your life. The practicality of digital has revolutionised photography, not necicerily for the good, every one with a camera phone and up thinks they are Sir David Baily.

However the reality is, I look at my photos a lot more now, in the computer albums and folders, have the oportunity of sharing them with a few key strikes and can play to my hearts content with colours and moods. There are online competitions that are good fun, and give a reason to be out shooting pictures.

And the desire to upgrade . . . o'dear, thats one to be kept strictly under controll, a D90, I want a D90 :whistling: essentialy a D300 with out the pro metal body, and minus the neck crunching weight of the metal body as well :D . . . . £1, £2, £3 . . . slowly saving B)

SW

I still have a Yashica 250AF 35mm SLR Film camera + couple of lens's and flash in a box under the bench here, I cant see me ever using it again and I've long ago mislaid the lightmeter too.

Thing is with the advent of digital its even easier/cheaper to get prints done, just upload your shots, pay and have them delivered to your door. If your not sure about how to upload to a pay per photo site then you can always burn them to disk/card/USB stick and take them into one of these photo kiosks to have them printed (Boots have them)..Exactly the same as have prints from film done...minus the wait time..:D

Steve...:)

Edited by Steve Randles
Corrected typos

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

For any who still have film cameras and don't need them, a suggestion.

eBay US has a thriving market in high-end 35mm cameras and in many cases, you can get a bit more than you originally paid for one.

I found this out only after we'd given a good camera to one of my offspring (who didn't really use it much). :(

It will probably be worth listing them on eBay UK and paying the little extra for full US/Canada visibility.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I have a well used Olympus OM3 that I love dearly, but now never use. What I do still use for tranny work and B/W is a Mamiya Super 6. However, my ideal digital camera would be a twin lens reflex ala Rollie or Yashica! There is a certain satisfaction in using a waist level, hooded viewfinder with its ability to compose with care and thought.

ok ... I'm going to be out of step with evrybody and carry on using my nikon ..... I suppose that part of the problem is that I started off life doing four years in an industrial photographic department in the early 60' s ..... so pics get composed carefully and each one is 'good' ... over the years they've got boxed and filed and every so often get reviewed .... gee was I that thin in 1967 ???? ..... anyway if youre ever down offord and see a short beared ancient wandering round with a nikon and tele - c'est moi !