What was your first EVER fish?

Chris Plumb

What Species was your 1st EVER fish  

68 members have voted

1. 1. What was your first ever Coarse Fish?

• Barbel
    • Bleak
    • Bream
    • Carp
    • Crucian Carp
    • Catfish
    • Chub
    • Dace
    • Exotic - Grass Carp/Goldfish/Orfe/Pumpkinseed
    • Eel
    • Gudgeon
    • Mini - Bitterling/Bullhead/Minnow/Stickleback/Loach
    • Perch
    • Pike
    • Roach
    • Rudd
    • Ruffe
    • Silver Bream
    • Tench
    • Zander
  2. 2. What was your first EVER Game Fish?

• Arctic Charr
    • Brown Trout
    • Rainbow Trout
    • Sea Trout
    • Grayling
    • Salmon

Chris :-) mine was a perch back when I was about 11 yrs of age. I can actually remember it as if it was happening right now (though it was about 34 years ago). It was the first of about 50 or 60 that day. Yes, it was tiny and I caught it on a 30lb class, solid glass sea boat rod. You can tell my parents didn't have a clue about suitable fishing tackle....

Kevan

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A roach, though possibly with a bit of rudd thrown in according to another angler. (I thought rudd mainly hung out in lakes...) Out of the Susex Ouse whilst on holiday. All of one ounce in weight but memorable nonetheless... Oh, and only last year. September 30 to be precise as that was the day I took up fishing - unlike most people here, I didn't fish as a lad. Actually, to be accurate, I took up fishing on September 29 but I blanked! Something I did today too...

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

The first fish on a rod and line for me was this lovely brown trout, caught in a little stream on sweetcorn, with a kiddies rod that was bought for me as a joke during a boating trip almost three years ago.

Myfirstfish.jpg

I didn't catch anything with it on the boating trip, but the following weekend, on a camping trip, I found out what it was like to catch and play a fish.....

Yes, I'm sad to say that it did end up in that frying pan! I took the picture next to the fruit juice carton so I could have some idea of just how big it was. At the time I thought it was an absolute monster! I will never, ever forget that feeling when it took my bait and then I had to try and get it into the bank without losing it. There was only me there, at five in the morning - if I didn't land it, my companion would never have believed that I'd actually managed to catch a fish! He was still fast asleep and totally oblivious to the heart stopping moment I was going through! I still have no idea how I managed to land that fish, but I'm thankful that I did...

The very next day I walked down through my local village, and spotted a newly opened tackle shop where the greengrocers used to be, and after walking up and down a couple of times, I finally walked through the door...

The rest, as they say, is history. I was hooked, and I remain so!

Janet

My first ever fish was an 8oz roach which i thought must be a world record it was on my second ever visit & we had no landing net my dad had to grab it in his hands . Although it was 30yrs ago i can still see it now :)

The more i practice the luckier i get :)

my first rod and line caught fish was also my first pole caught fish!! and i think also possibly one of my rarer captures these days even though I fish in pools with them in?!?! must be trying too hard to catch them!!

oh and it was a crucian carp!! also sorry i have never caught a game fish so i voted for sea trout - sorry if i have distorted your data I could not vote else!!

Edited by mjbarnes12
wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

My first fish was A Roach from the Trent and Mersey canal in 1976 and the first game fish, a Grayling in 1979 from the river Derwent just below the 5 arches in Derby.

I'm taking one of my younger sons out in the morning on the Dove to catch his first Grayling the conditions seem bob on.

Many thanks for all the replies so far - keep em coming - please!!!

I realised as soon as I put up the poll that I should have had a 'never caught a game fish option' - if this applies to you please retry the poll - and put Arctic Char as your 1st ever game fish. I'm sure if anyone votes who really did get a Char as their 1st fish wil come on here and tell us about it!!!!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Many thanks for all the replies so far - keep em coming - please!!!

I realised as soon as I put up the poll that I should have had a 'never caught a game fish option' - if this applies to you please retry the poll - and put Arctic Char as your 1st ever game fish. I'm sure if anyone votes who really did get a Char as their 1st fish wil come on here and tell us about it!!!!

C.

Tench - Pontefract Park Lake circa 1962; I had caught lots of sticklebacks before but this was the real deal- it pulled back using all of its 10 oz weight.I knocked it on the head only to find it still alive when I got home and released it in local lake where I hope it had a long and happy life.First game fish a brown trout from a small stream in Aberdaron, Lleyn Peninsula circa 1963

I've voted - perch and rainbow trout, and I can vividly remember both moments like thyey were yesterday. In fact, I remember them much better than yesterday :D

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music