New Years Honours list

wotnobivvy

I see Angling was well represented with the above !!!

Looks as if you push a pen for years you get something, but the only awards for angling/fishing were to some anonymous clerics in official departments in Scotland, Wales and Hull.

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know. I'd put new laces in my trainers and ironed my best t-shirt in anticipation of a trip to the palace, too :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I don't know whether to put a sail, oars, pedals or a 3litre engine on my buggy for next year. Bet I choose the wrong one. Perhaps I should stick to a desk top !!

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Should we, as anglers not now campaign for Sir Bob Nudd and Sir Alan Scotthorn? Multiple world champions its far better than pen pushing or winning a medal at the piggin olympics

Just one big fish, PLEASE!!!!!!

The rules are stringent and they do not account for luck and nobody is going to me, as great an angler as Nuddy is, that he does rely on a certain amount of luck to achieve his status as a World class angler.

Fishing simply cannot be levelled or controlled to the point where all the Anglers have a fair chance of winning before the competition starts. You'd have to raise the fish from from fry on an identical diet so one fish is just as heavy and as hungry and the next one and the competitions would have to take place in a controlled environment, akin to that of a swimming pool. There are far to variables involved in fishing so it was never be a 100% level playing field so as much as Nuddy has achieved, he is an angler who has at one time or another relied on 'luck' and therefore it would be futile to measure his level of skill against another athlete , unless the conditions were artificially created.

I'm not taking anything away from Nuddy, He IS a great angler but to compare him to athletes like Chris Hoy etc. is asking a lot IMHO.

He's not an athlete, he a competent, if the not, THE most competent match angler is our lifetime but the fact still remains, the playing field can never be level.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I agree Andy that you cannot compare Hoy and Nudd because they are 2 totally different sports one extremely phsical and one not so. But LUCK, no, sorry I cannot accept that. A vast quantity of knowledge and skill in all aspects of angling built up over many years.

If the angling world championships had been run inconjuntion with the olympics and Nudd and Scotthorne had won them as many times as they have it would now be Sir Bob OBE,CBE,MBE and Sir Allan OBE,MBE,CBE.

With the exception of Hoy, who after many years of dedication to his sport has deserved ALL the awards he has received in 2008, why does anyone who wins a race at the olympics deserve an award? Maybe when they have put many more years into their sport and then trained some more athletes/swimmers etc they might deserve something

So if a drug cheat gets a gold medal (as she did) and a gong then why not 9 time World champions or were they just 'LUCKY' 9 times

Edited by IanBass

Just one big fish, PLEASE!!!!!!

I'm not suggesting that Nudd's success has been ALL as a result of luck. He's a great angler but if you don't believe luck has a certain part to play in fishing, you're a severely blinkered. Are you trying to tell me various past (present?) records such as the perch record was a demonstration of skill? Of course not. Nudd is a great angler but you cannot put all his successes down too 100% skill. That's just silly. Even Bob Nudd knows that luck has probably scraped a few titles in the past for him.

He's good but you cannot tell me luck has nothing to do with fishing successes.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

No Im afraid I disagree to Andy.When you get into even the lowest rank of match fishing you will find that the same few people win most of the time. The higher you go the more this is seen.I just cnt belive that "consistency" can be put down to luck in match angling anymore than it can in any other sport.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Don't forget the six equestrian events in the Olympics, surely a degree of 'luck' there too as horses are animals and are capable of taking decisions on their own?

Geoff