boat rod

dickandjill

dickandjill:

Hi

What size boat rod should I buy to use for inshore dinghy fishing here in West Cornwall.I will be trolling for Pollack and Bass with rubber sandeels etc

Thanks

:cool: I should think a 12lb class or 12/20lb class would be ideal, depending on the size of fish you expect to catch. :D

A 12lb class boat rod would be an ideal choice!

A very safe margin at the extreme of the lower end! ... its safe to multiply the class of boat rod by X 3

In other words a 20lb class rod X 3 ..... would handle with ease a fish of 60lbs ... this is a very conservative estimate, that doesn’t include the amount of skill and experience the angler has.

With excellent reels available today with clutch mechanism that are very smooth, powerful and more importantly progressive, this figure can be far higher.

I have a Shimano Calcutta Heavy which is 15-25 lb, it's the Steve Starling one and is a great all rounder. Light weight and sensitive but with lots of power, If you can still get one I would say try it.

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

Your multiply x 3 equation can be taken a lot further than that seahog.

"A very safe margin at the extreme of the lower end! ... its safe to multiply the class of boat rod by X 3

In other words a 20lb class rod X 3 ..... would handle with ease a fish of 60lbs ... this is a very conservative estimate, that doesn’t include the amount of skill and experience the angler has."

The IGFA world records on balanced tackle on 20lb test are slightly over the 60lb mark E.G.

white pointer = 1,068lbs mako = 725lb 5oz

porbeagle = 336lbs tiger shark 903lbs

Black marlin (pacific) = 406lbs (atlantic)=714lb

Black marlin = 1,051lbs atlantic cod = 98lb 12oz

Bear in mind that trolling puts a lot of strain on a rod (unless you're using outriggers or a downrigger), so a 12lb class rod will simply buckle over with the resistance of a towed lure.

Having said that, possibly the best light rod you can buy is the 8'6" shakespeare uglystik 1480 model. The other rods as good tend to be much more expensive like the ABU suveran 12-20.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

I don’t doubt that stan4massey ... it was meant as a rough guide for those that fish UK style ... many of those record were achieved by the boat chasing after the fish and using the boat as a limiter to the line that is played out, this style of fishing is rare in the UK.

But yes your right even with that style of fishing to bring a fish of that size to the boat using such light tackle need a large amount of skill and perseverance to say the least.

I recently bought an Abu Viper 20/30lb, its a great rod, and I think it could be classed a bit lighter. And at 7'9" it has the additional length so you can really feel the fish.

Scotty

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

Seahog,

your right, I only posted it as a matter of interest as to the size of some fish taken on light gear. As you say,many of them are taken with the boat backing up on to the fish. The black marlin off Cairns in OZ in particular. They can have grander fish at the boat in under a minute. The instant they hook up, the boat is backed hard, the leader or swivel is touched by the deckie and its classed as a catch. On my last post a typo. The atlantic and pacific black M were in actual fact blue M