catching the impossible

dapper64

I just sat down and enjoyed it, I'm going to watch it again tomorrow as the wife is out at a dog show, so a little me time, I just found it so relaxing, I thought the editing was excellent, nothing jarred, and that cross fade shot of the changing light on the lake was very good.

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrived yesterday, watched it all last night and whilst I can understand some of the comments made re a lack of continuity, I must say that I really enjoyed it. The underwater footage is quite astounding and I shall certainly get the the rest of the series as it becomes available. Passion was special and I do think that this series will up there as well as it involves so much more than just catching the fish.

Glad you enjoyed it.

I may have been a little harsh in my assessment. It is certainly worth watching and I'm sure I'll get the others too.

Some of it is incredible but some of it felt like "AN Other" fishing programme that you see on Sky. Some of these Sky shows are very good (loved the Great Rod Race) but Passion for Angling has always been on a different level to these types of programmes.

Passion for Angling was pure escapism. It was too perfect really to the extent that it was almost unrealistic. Champagne at Redmire? Perfect dawns and sunsets. Small boys catching barbel, jumpers for goalposts... :lol:

Of course we all know that angling is rarely like this but that is what made PFA so special.

Catching the Impossible, despite its name is actually more realistic. More "fly on the wall" and I'm sure people will appreciate it because of this. Personally, I prefer more escapism and less just pointing a camera at someone fishing.

(PS Sorry for banging on about APFA all the time)

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

Glad you enjoyed it.

I may have been a little harsh in my assessment. It is certainly worth watching and I'm sure I'll get the others too.

Some of it is incredible but some of it felt like "AN Other" fishing programme that you see on Sky. Some of these Sky shows are very good (loved the Great Rod Race) but Passion for Angling has always been on a different level to these types of programmes.

Passion for Angling was pure escapism. It was too perfect really to the extent that it was almost unrealistic. Champagne at Redmire? Perfect dawns and sunsets. Small boys catching barbel, jumpers for goalposts... :lol:

Of course we all know that angling is rarely like this but that is what made PFA so special.

Catching the Impossible, despite its name is actually more realistic. More "fly on the wall" and I'm sure people will appreciate it because of this. Personally, I prefer more escapism and less just pointing a camera at someone fishing.

(PS Sorry for banging on about APFA all the time)

I can certainly understand your preference for escapism. There are also times when I prefer perception to reality, for example, when I was young, I used to read anything and everything associated with Redmire and the happenings there and at that time would have given anything to have been able to fish there. As such I have developed a perceived image in my mind of a fabulous place shrouded in mystery with the mother of all Carp lurking in its depths. Now, there is no way that I would ever want fish there as the reality would most likely, completely destroy the illusion in my mind.. Daft I know but there it is.

I've watched my copy about five times already and each time I enjoy it more and more. I didn't quite enjoy the two girls fly fishing as much as i enjoyed the Bowler / Cribbins duo. I enjoyed Bernard Cribbins digs at Martin Bowlers hair nearly as much as the actual fishing.

At the end of the day we all know it took 4 years to film and edit. Yes the rudd scene was over and done in a matter of minutes but I for one don't want to see repetitious scenes of feeding maggots and watching a staionary float. I'd rather see the proper action.

I can honestly say that thsi is the best fishing programme I have ever watched and it made me lapse back to my childhood days (35 years aog) when I went fishing for the first time. It made me want to go fishing immediately and inspired me to try harder in the future.

It showed that nothing is impossible if you try hard enough!!

I've watched my copy about five times already and each time I enjoy it more and more. I didn't quite enjoy the two girls fly fishing as much as i enjoyed the Bowler / Cribbins duo. I enjoyed Bernard Cribbins digs at Martin Bowlers hair nearly as much as the actual fishing.

At the end of the day we all know it took 4 years to film and edit. Yes the rudd scene was over and done in a matter of minutes but I for one don't want to see repetitious scenes of feeding maggots and watching a staionary float. I'd rather see the proper action.

I can honestly say that thsi is the best fishing programme I have ever watched and it made me lapse back to my childhood days (35 years aog) when I went fishing for the first time. It made me want to go fishing immediately and inspired me to try harder in the future.

It showed that nothing is impossible if you try hard enough!!

It is a stunning piece of work and the underwater scenes take one's breath away.The venues are - in the main- lovely ; but having never seen the Gt Ouse barbel water I was amazed how small it was and utterly unlike what a barbel river should look like. If I have a niggle it is the fact that the dvd is devoted only to the fish and the admirable Bernard Cribbins apart there is not a hint of personality from Martin Bowler.I am sure he is a lovely guy etc but he is not a natural in front of the camera and most of what he has to say is near inaudible.Maybe he is the Stig of the fishing world ? The Yates /James lovefest in Passion did get toe curling but you were aware of strong personalities and I am not here.But that is a minor thing- Hugh Miles is a bloody genius and Bowler is one hell of an angler.

• 1 year later...

I know this is a massive long shot, so I won't be holding my breath, but does anyone know (and are willing to share) the venue where Martin Bowler caught the Rudd in Catching the Impossible?

A specimen Rudd is going to be one of my targets for the summer, and I am trying to build a picture of potential venues.

Cheers,

Stu