Mainboard Temperature : 36 °C

:

NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache : nVidia Driver

GPU Temperature : 47 °C

:

Hard Disk Monitoring : S.M.A.R.T

Hard Disk ST3200822AS : 38 °C

Hard Disk ST3200822AS : 36 °C

My PC seems to be going into overdrive for the last 3 months. Just downloaded this prog. but I have no idea what it means (see above). Running an HP Pavilion with 1GB RAM, XP SP2. I run Photoshop CS3, but the PC seems to go itno overdrive as soon as it starts up, with just Outlook and IE7 running. Was thinking of upgrading the RAM to 4GB just to see, but any ideas on how I (you) can diagnose why this machine is running seemingly to max 70% CPU when there's little in the way of programmes running?

PS You're dealing with a PC numpty here...

Ta.

Westie.

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RAM is a tad on the low side but , should be ok. What processes are running in the background?

Right click your Taskbar (along the bottom of your screen) and select Task Manager > then select the 'Processes' tab . Are there any programs using a fair bit of CPU usage?

I'm no PC expert myself but , the above would be a nice easy starter for you to try first.........

I'm certain that help will be along soon enough from the whizzes on here Westie.

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

The IT 'a' team will pick up on this one, sounds like you have picked up something from the net, just guessing, good luck.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

RAM is a tad on the low side but , should be ok. What processes are running in the background?

Right click your Taskbar (along the bottom of your screen) and select Task Manager > then select the 'Processes' tab . Are there any programs using a fair bit of CPU usage?

I'm no PC expert myself but , the above would be a nice easy starter for you to try first.........

I'm certain that help will be along soon enough from the whizzes on here Westie.

57 processes running. Mostly System Idle, so why the fan keeps going mental, I'll never know. Nothing out of the ordinary on the processes front, having Googled the ones that aren't familiar. I have an autobackup prog (Memeo) which seems to chew up a bit of the CPU when it's backing up, but max of about 60% and only for short spikes.

Just scanned with SpyBot - nothing untoward there. Run AVG and nothing there. I've got a solid firewall with my router (ZyXEL), which also runs Kaspersky antivirus in the background. I haven't visited any (ahem) 'dubious' sites.

I could get a 2GB upgrade for under £20, so maybe worth a punt?

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Westie, check the heatsink on processor is not clogged with dust and fluff.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Westie, check the heatsink on processor is not clogged with dust and fluff.

Den

Cheers Den - will do - but first might need a bit of a steer on what the heatsink is though. LOL. I said I was a numpty.

Westie.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_sink

If you have never opened your computer case and given it a clean it might be due for one. Make sure everything is turned off and is earthed to prevent any static.

If you havent already, though may not help in this situation might be worth a run of these progs.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Kaspersky_AVP_Tool_d4515.html - checks and removes virus

http://majorgeeks.com/download4191.html - clears the disk of clutter

Edited by J.K

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

This sounds like a case of a machine bunged up with dust and crap. Buy yourself a air duster can from Maplin, take of the case and give the whole thing a good blow out. Upgrading your PC to at least 2GB of RAM will make it feel like a new machine.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

i agree with the heat sink being dirty, you shouldnt have to do too much work to get it cleaned.

heres a heat sink with a fan on top

heatsink-cm-sock-a-a.jpg

remove the side of the computer.

look for the big block with a fan on top of it. (there might be a few clean all of them)

if it has screw securing the fan to the heat sink unscrew them.

remove the fan and remember where the wire connects to on the mother board 9if you can clean it without disconnecting it then thats fine)

give the fan a good clean.

wipe as much dust as you can from the heat sink (where the fan was sat on top)

screw back on the fan and connect it up.

some fans are secured to the heat sink with clips, examine the way that it is attached and slowly remove it remembering how it goes back on.

you shouldnt need to remove the heat sink at all but underneath that big heat sink is the cpu so be careful if you do take the entire heatsink off and if you feel some resitance when doing this it will just be stuck.

the reason it sticks is because there is a layer of paste called thermal tranfer paste that helps heat disperce through the heatsink. if you feel up to taking the heat sink right off now might be a good time to put some new thermal tranfer paste on.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Yup that all makes sense to me Andy. Probably a good idea to by some a wee tube of thermal grease and reseat the heatsink when you have the covers off. I usually give mine a good going over with the hoover when I have the lid off. Just make sure that you don't suck any jumpers off your motherboard, hard disk or dvd/cd drive.

DON'T power your PC up with the heat sink unattached unless you want to see your CPU disappear in a puff of expensive, acrid smoke.

Youtube Video ->

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote