fan running "hot"

Westie

ouch!

i blast mine with a compressor now and again it saves dismantling the heat sink (luckily modern clips are better than the old ones if you have to though but dont forget to renew the heat sink paste it dries out) mrs complains though the dust goes everywhere else :D

also the back of the monitor its 4 (yep 4) fans bring a lot of dust into its internals ,bugger knows where the dust comes from my mrs's mega jet turbine sounding hoover does a good job.

ofcourse if you playing inside the machine leave it plugged into the mains (but switched off) and rest one hand on the exposed metal case (look out for sharp bits) to lessen static discharge.

i personally wouldn't recommend poking a hoover in, its nozzle has static build-up itself (hence special hoovers being sold) and NEVER suck up spilt toner from laser printers with a household hoover its dangerous (seen the outcome from one being used at the uni) :o

whilst the hoover static bit is a bit controversial static can have unseen effects which may not kill a component dead there is talk of it effecting devices in a longer term.

whilst cleaning up dont forget the psu fan ,only blast it with air or clean it with a small paint brush .when finished gently push a vane of the fan ,it should move with only a tiny push (not spin but move).

if it gets sticky it easily blows up the psu (you get a cascade effect) so a few minutes can save money .it can be regreased but needs to be removed from the PSU (nasty sparky things in there even turned off so only do it if you respect it!) or a bog standard replacement bought and put in (in the majority of psu's) just make sure the arrows on it point out ,all fans can get sticky so look after them

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whilst cleaning up dont forget the psu fan ,only blast it with air or clean it with a small paint brush .when finished gently push a vane of the fan ,it should move with only a tiny push (not spin but move).

if it gets sticky it easily blows up the psu (you get a cascade effect) so a few minutes can save money .it can be regreased but needs to be removed from the PSU (nasty sparky things in there even turned off so only do it if you respect it!)

Beware the lightning that lurketh in an undischarged capacitor lest it cause thee to be bounced upon thy buttocks in a most ungentlemanly manner.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

...bugger knows where the dust comes from my mrs's mega jet turbine sounding hoover does a good job.
The dust in most houses is mostly from the 40,000-50,000 dead skin cells we shed every day. That and the faeces of the house dust mite that feed on your dead skin cells are what constitute most of the dust in a house.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Thanks for all the help.

I'm now armed with a can of compressed air and I'll have a look inside the machine at the weekend.

I think I'll avoid using a hoover. Knowing my luck, I'd clear out components that I needed.

Chesters suggested that I should keep the machine plugged in (but off) when cleaning - is there a reason for that (earthing etc?). Space is a bit tight and it would be easier for me to unplug completely to take the casing off.

I'm expecting there to be some caked on grime, as I've not cleaned inside the PC before in its 3 years of life. When the hard drive had a wobble about 4 months ago, an IT guy checked it over and said it was dusty, but not too bad. For the more stubborn stuff on fans, would using dry cotton buds be a good idea (used gently)?

As for removing things and reapplying grease etc, I might just see how I get on with the compressed air first and see if that helps. I'm going to order 2gb RAM today, so that I can pop that in at the same time.

Hopefully, these measures combined will make a bit of difference.

Cheers everybody.

Westie.

Edited by Westie

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Thanks for all the help.

I'm now armed with a can of compressed air and I'll have a look inside the machine at the weekend.

I think I'll avoid using a hoover. Knowing my luck, I'd clear out components that I needed.

Chesters suggested that I should keep the machine plugged in (but off) when cleaning - is there a reason for that (earthing etc?). Space is a bit tight and it would be easier for me to unplug completely to take the casing off.

I'm expecting there to be some caked on grime, as I've not cleaned inside the PC before in its 3 years of life. When the hard drive had a wobble about 4 months ago, an IT guy checked it over and said it was dusty, but not too bad. For the more stubborn stuff on fans, would using dry cotton buds be a good idea (used gently)?

As for removing things and reapplying grease etc, I might just see how I get on with the compressed air first and see if that helps. I'm going to order 2gb RAM today, so that I can pop that in at the same time.

Hopefully, these measures combined will make a bit of difference.

Cheers everybody.

Westie.

yes keeping it plugged in but off ensures an earth ,holding onto the pc (or leaning your arm on the metal) stops you discharging static.

its amazing how much you can build up on certain carpets and clothing.

i wear a static armband but holding / leaning on the case (exposed metal not painted surfaces) is second best especially plugging in memory.

we had a run of dead pc's at the uni when i worked there ,the reason was not not using anti static measures by the IT section (they were pretty good) but not knowing modern pc's dont switch off when you use the pc's case off switch (the old ones used to) the pc merely goes to sleep so they were plugging components into a "live" pc ,switching off at the socket ensures the pc is off and keeping it plugged in ensures an earth path.

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The dust in most houses is mostly from the 40,000-50,000 dead skin cells we shed every day. That and the faeces of the house dust mite that feed on your dead skin cells are what constitute most of the dust in a house.

maybe i should stop using the belt sander as a dead skin remover :schmoll: without it it would take forever i have acres of it :blink:

we had a run of dead pc's at the uni when i worked there ,the reason was not not using anti static measures by the IT section (they were pretty good) but not knowing modern pc's dont switch off when you use the pc's case off switch (the old ones used to) the pc merely goes to sleep so they were plugging components into a "live" pc ,switching off at the socket ensures the pc is off and keeping it plugged in ensures an earth path.
Spot on Dave. Any PC that has an ATX or BTX motherboard should be treated this way. When you are plugging your RAM in try your best not to touch the metal contacts with your fingers at all.

Processor Temperature : 52 °C

Mainboard Temperature : 36 °C

GPU Temperature : 47 °C

Hard Disk ST3200822AS : 38 °C

Hard Disk ST3200822AS : 36 °C

Well, after 40 minutes of cleaning the PC with a brillo pad and hammer and chisel, I've got the dust off that was caked on the heatsink. I've treated the old girl to another 2GB of RAM.

The result - she's purring like a kitten and no sign of the fan running hot, yet... Just the gentle hum of a hopefully contented 'puter.

Looks like it's helped. previous results above. With a bit of a dust, the temp has come down a bit:

Processor Temperature : 47 °C

Mainboard Temperature : 36 °C

GPU Temperature : 58 °C

Hard Disk ST3200822AS : 35 °C

Hard Disk ST3200822AS : 33 °C

GPU temp has jumped though - is this a problem??

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

did you clean the fan on that?

did you clean the fan on that?

Hi Chesters

I cleaned every fan in sight!

Westie.

Visit My Photo Gallery