Trotting maggots for big chub

Anderoo

Guest tigger
OK, so when your're trotting small baits for big chub, what rods do people us? Avons or match?

Anderoo I use match rods. As I said I use the Normark Avenger which is a good through action rod, it's powerfull yet if you hit and hold it has plenty of give/spring when the fish makes a dash for cover so there isn't a problem with hook pulls. Another good rod is the Drennan im8 specimine rod, or one I've not used but should be perfect .......the Drennan Tench rod. Really any powerfull match rod should be ok. I think your crusader will be a bit soft for your purpose.

Interesting that nearly all you guys are using double strength hook links. Probably something I should move to. Chris and other grayling fishers, what do you use for grayling? I've been using 4lb, but not double strength - maybe that is a bit too visible?

John

Well on the Itchen, I've been known to go upto 6lb double strength - but usually I use 3.2lb hooklengths for grayling.

Anderoo - float rod.

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I tend to alternate between the two depending on the conditions that I'm faced with smaller river and overgrown conditions would see me reaching for an avon rod and conversely larger rivers where float control over distance is more of an issue sees me reaching for my match oriented rods.

When I am unsure I have an old Shakespeare 12' CTB rod which is a wonderful halfway house between the other two options and is my first choice on many an occasion......

Hope this helps

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

I am in the fortunate position of having a range of match type rods which include 17, 15, 14, 13 and 12 foot variants but for wandering a typical meandering small river fishing which generally give numerous swim options along with overgrown conditions, trees and fallen branches etc, I would always choose an avon type rod above anything else. Match type rods are fine on the bigger waters where the extra length can come in very handy for better control and indeed are sometimes useful on particular swims in smaller rivers but overall in my opinion, you cannot beat the versatility of a good avon rod. As to which is the best, you are always going to get differing opinions from different people but I am sure that with your experience you know that when you pick up a rod whether it feels right. On the match type rod front, a very underated range was the aerials, produced by Shakespeare in both match and power float versions and well worth getting hold of if you can find them.

I use to ""match fish "" the ouse in the winter the main target species was the chub which were often pushing the 5lb plus barrier have caught them up to 6 1/2 lb

Method was stick float fished Dbl or single bronze maggot. i did have quite a high success rate.

MY gear wasnt particulary heavy i just had the confidence with it to lean straight into the fish and hold it and and ease it towards me rather than giving it chance to tun.

The line was 4.4lb silstar match (or whatever name its undr now) 16 or 18 superspade or carbon chub hooks.

Abu 1044 close face

and an old shimano powerloop match rod.

i didnt use hooklengths just straight through.

Edited by terry t shirt

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.