Warm base layer

James P

I must admit that these days I like to be warm as possible so I now use the bib and brace from my old sundridge igloo suit over tracksuit bottoms, a polo shirt, light fleece and heavy fleece for the upper layers topped either by a light goretex jacket or an extremely light in weight duck down filled jacket, a thick thermal beanie hat and goretex windstopper gloves with the tip of the first finger and thumb cut away on each hand. For footwear, a couple of pairs of good thermal socks and a good pair of goretex lined walking boots. The igloo suit was made from breathable fabric so does not get too hot when you are walking. This does me and generally keeps me warm. For really severe condions when I on a lake, I still have the igloo jacket but that tends to be too bulky for wandering the banks in.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brotherinlaw was in the army,and he gave me some fleece shirts,a fleece jacket and one of those hats with flaps you can drop down over your ears and under your chin,they are very warm but I only have thick wool socks for my feet,which are hopeless when I wear waders for keeping my feet warm :(

• 2 weeks later...

Good thermal socks will do a better job of retaining heat while wicking out moisture than even wool will but at that price, you won't be getting good.

Have a look at some on This Page

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President