Elusive mullet

Snatcher

Any mullet black belts out there? Have recently bought a caravan at Drummore,Mull of Galloway,Scotland. Have fished for them loads on my hols in the Med using the old bubble float/multihooks/lump of french stick the size of your fist/hook them anywhere approach with great effect - it was great fun at the time but I think the large amount of alcohol in the holiday system may have dimmed the sporting slant a bit! Also the presence of large flocks of rats with wings puts floating bread tactics out of the window. Have seen large shoals of really big mullet in the harbour,tried them on sweetcorn using light float gear but had no takers. The harbour dries out completly at low water leaving a weed covered mud flat. The fish follow the tide in and I have seen them in inches of water. The locals have told me that they have seen them targeted plenty but never seen one caught. The local barman has claimed to have shot one but having observed his "shakes" have my doubts ! Any advice,tips etc would be most appreciated

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Thanks for the quick replys lads :) .

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Followed some the advice from Paul last year from his site that was very useful but I did find I caught most of my fish last year striaght off the top with floating crust! Isn't one off the top suppose to be worth 4 underneath? Well I must of caught six off the top last year can you give me 24 for those then Paul? Going to try and beat you on numbers this year got a whole summer ahead of me!

will give floating crust a bash but will have to get wor lass to stand there as a bird scarer!

Tight lines

ps cheers chippie found those sites most informative

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

WeymouthSean:

Well I must of caught six off the top last year can you give me 24 for those then Paul? Going to try and beat you on numbers this year got a whole summer ahead of me!

Shouldn't be hard if last year's catch rate is anything to go by....I had a dire season!

It might have been due to me fishing less - splitting my time between fishing and diving.

I'm not sure if your 4 for 1 ratio is fair though - one of your 2lbers for every four of my 4lbers :D:D

At low tide when the harbour drains I have seen the mullet shoaled up in large numbers in the sandy bay formed just in front of the harbour mouth. Have not tried to fish for them at this state of the tide but thought about having a bash on the fly rod. As there is no cover I think I might have to approach indian style on all fours!

Any ideas as to what fly I should try or any other tactics. So if a fish on floating crust is worth 4 underneath I reckon a fish on dry fly must be worth at least 8 underneath xxx

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Have heard that Walker's mayfly nymph is a good pattern.

If they're shoaling up on the shallows, why not lay down a carpet of liquidised bread and wait for them to start feeding on it? Most places I fish they will come onto the feed sooner or later. Then you can stalk the biggest one... :D

Jim.