Barton Court 2 (?)

Rusty

That's about what I'll be doing although a few lobworms will be in my bag as well. Most of the banks are pretty clear so using the longer rod shouldn't be a hinderence and may help if the wind direction isn't in your favour in some swims. Last time I was there a chap roving for Pike with lures (resembling small Pike) was doing very well.

Unlikley that Richard & Matt will be able to make it now so our party's down to five.

Managed to winkle a few pike out last time I went on lures....was very cold and wasn't easy.

Still need to find out wether they'll permit fly fishing for pike throughout the spring/summer...I think it's the sort of place that would suit that method very, very well plus there are some big fish in there as I witnessed (pike taking a waterbird from the surface!)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.....plus there are some big fish in there as I witnessed (pike taking a waterbird from the surface!)

Yikes! I wonder if that's why they don't allow wading.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Any tips on the pike fishing at BC? I've been very fortunate this season, and what would really be the icing on the cake is a big pike. I've never been there before, but I gather it's a maze of river and carriers. Are some areas more pike-y than others?

Also, what are the odds of a 10oz+ dace?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Are some areas more pike-y than others?

I don't know from personal experience but the last time I was there a group of pikers headed along the uppermost stretch immediately West from the car park (P on the map) http://www.riverkennet.co.uk/directions.html They said that was where the large 'youtube' pike came from and they were there all day.

At the end of that stretch is where I saw the roving lure piker.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Managed to winkle a few pike out last time I went on lures....was very cold and wasn't easy.

Still need to find out wether they'll permit fly fishing for pike throughout the spring/summer...I think it's the sort of place that would suit that method very, very well plus there are some big fish in there as I witnessed (pike taking a waterbird from the surface!)

I doubt they would permit fly fishing for pike in the summer as this would no doubt upset the "dray flay" brigade.

I know several years ago pike were netted from the river and placed into the lake, not sure if this an annual occurence or a one off but it never seems to effect the quality of the pike fishing at B.C.

I can honestly say that i have never visted any other fishery where pike strikes/attacks are so frequent, get the roach dace etc going and you have a very good chance of Mr Pike joining in!

Any tips on the pike fishing at BC? I've been very fortunate this season, and what would really be the icing on the cake is a big pike. I've never been there before, but I gather it's a maze of river and carriers. Are some areas more pike-y than others?

Also, what are the odds of a 10oz+ dace?

My mate Paul had around 8 pike on sink and draw tactics 2/3 seasons ago mainly Jacks as I recall though I think there were a couple of doubles in there - most productive beats were Parson Ditch and the Old River. Deadbaiting is usually completely hopeless due to the signals! As for 10 oz dace I'd say remote - based on my experiences - however if you want to cling on to some hope I've had 1lb+ dace immediately downstream from BC - and upstream of BC - so no reason they shouldn't be at BC - I've just never caught them there!

C.

Edited by Chris Plumb

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

My mate Paul had around 8 pike on sink and draw tactics 2/3 seasons ago mainly Jacks as I recall though I think there were a couple of doubles in there - most productive beats were Parson Ditch and the Old River. Deadbaiting is usually completely hopeless due to the signals! As for 10 oz dace I'd say remote - based on my experiences - however if you want to cling on to some hope I've had 1lb+ dace immediately downstream from BC - and upstream of BC - so no reason they shouldn't be at BC - I've just never caught them there!

C.

Thanks Chris, wobbled deads for the pike then, and some very long trotting for the dace!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I don't know from personal experience but the last time I was there a group of pikers headed along the uppermost stretch immediately West from the car park (P on the map) http://www.riverkennet.co.uk/directions.html They said that was where the large 'youtube' pike came from and they were there all day.

At the end of that stretch is where I saw the roving lure piker.

I was told that the 'Youtube pike' came from the canalized section at the top near a broken tree, on watching the video again though I'm unsure it it was there...who knows for sure. I'd say the Old river was a good bet, that's where I had my fish from. That bit west from the car park is the big, shallow section upstream from the canalised bit...incidentally where Andy Little had the big 'un (low bridge clearly visible in the background of the photo!)

Got to get back to Barton, lovely river fishing!

Just rang bob and booked myself on ,desperately hoping it will not be like Siberia Steve.

Edited by JV44

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: