And They Want Taxpayer's Money?

Elton

I don't get this. If a company is experiencing an increase in sales and still losing money, why would anyone even consider giving it our money?

JAGUAR RECORDS ANNUAL SALES BOOST IN 2008

Jaguar finished 2008 with sales of more than 65,000 cars – an increase of 8% over 2007 and one of only a handful of automotive brands to report a year-on-year sales increase.

Commenting on the company's performance, Mike O'Driscoll, Jaguar's Managing Director, said: "Despite the challenging economic conditions, Jaguar made great progress last year. We introduced the all-new, award-winning Jaguar XF – voted 'Car of the Year' by two major UK magazines, and winner of more than 30 commendations around the world – which has attracted a huge number of new customers to Jaguar.

"The XF underlines the progress we've made in developing exciting sporting cars that capture the hearts of driving enthusiasts the world over. Our cars are sold in more than 60 countries around the world and we're proud of our success as a major exporter – our sales were up by more than 50% in Russia, 35% higher in the Middle East, and 25% better in China.

"We've started 2009 with the introduction of advanced new generation petrol and diesel engines that set new benchmarks in terms of power, economy and efficiency, including a new diesel for the XF that offers a marked improvement in CO2 and fuel economy performance. Our cars meet the challenges of the modern world and the needs of today's consumers – and they're also true to the Jaguar philosophy of creating beautiful fast cars.

"Together with Land Rover, Jaguar invests more than £400m on research and development. At a corporate level, we've committed more than £800m specifically to the research and development of new environmental technologies. Our investment in recent years has helped us bring cars to market that are bucking the downward trend."

Mike O'Driscoll concluded: "There's no doubt that 2009 will be challenging for the entire automotive industry, but we believe the new generation of intelligently designed, technically advanced Jaguars represent the very best sporting cars on the road today."

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get this. If a company is experiencing an increase in sales and still losing money, why would anyone even consider giving it our money?

It's not "losing money". Jaguar Land Rover have just spent hundreds of millions developing new models and now they need to stay in business long enough to sell a few of them! To do that they want to borrow money at commercial rates and the banks just won't lend money to ANYBODY in manufacturing. Once again this is a problem with the banking sector, not the the manufacturing sector. I'd like to see just one bank nationalised and then run to benefit the country. The rest would then have to stop behaving like a bunch of back streeet moneylenders and fall in line or go bust.

who in their right mind would not try their hand getting free money .

in reality all this fuss is about nothing .i hear the woolworths shops were sold for a £1 ,as most are in prime locations in every town they must be worth billions .

in stock market crashes nothing is lost bar speculative earnings the company still exists its property and goods still exist but its downfall is speculating (gambling) using its property as collateral ,not a stock market problem a gambling problem with greed and bad management to blame.

the management get their nice golden handshakes and use the property to pay off their gambling depts.

companies only have their selves to blame ,woolworths ventured into sidelines it couldnt profit from nor understood (phones ,cd's ,games etc) they were doomed to lose as soon as some bright spark suggested it as it couldnt compete ,they existed for a 100 years doing what they did there was no need to expand.

they crashed because they lost money expanding not because some american hic couldnt pay his mortgage they gambled and lost ,they used shares as chips and to greedy to realise the odds were against them winning.

not a mumble when they were winning but tears when the pot was lost ,typical gambling .loyds was another fiasco years ago ,nice and smug getting their money knowing full well they could lose their clothes if it went wrong and when it did they moaned :rolleyes:

its called "futures" because the stock market gamble on a future event they can be right as well as wrong but its still gambling however you look at it ,companies ruined because they bolster their income by selling shares then having some yuppie with a rolex and flash car gamble it away ,ludicrous

banks selling debts they know perfectly well are bad and other ones buying them knowing the same and gambling on a return ,even a five year old would realise its wrong yet the banks fought with each other to offer 5 times income mortgages to suspect buyers ,a fool would see it would come to no good but seemingly those on a million pound a year incomes overlooked it ?,i think not they knew perfectly well they would be ok jack.

i said a few years ago the country was running on debt (i wish i wouldnt keep calling it dept) Den got a little annoyed but its come true and whist some individuals may not have personal debt their pensions are /were (if they still exist) no more than gambling chips played by greedy speculators with a good chance /certainty of losing the lot!! they wont suffer every one else who put their chips in the pot will!

strangely mortgages are not considered as dept (in reality you own your house only when you pay your last instalment in the meantime your renting) the dept bit comes when your outgoings get bigger than whats coming in ,banks will punish you for their cockups and everyone else will raise your bills to cover up for their balls ups because ofcourse they are gambling with their pension funds as well ,its not a worldwide slump its a worldwide gambling loss and they will insist you pick up their gambling losses and bar tab :angry:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

My only qualm about it is that Tata of India just bought them from Ford, presumably after the 'Due diligence' excercise and the first thing they do is run to what is to them a foreign government asking for a bail out.

Now it may be cynical, but do you think that it was always on the cards that they bought it from Ford as a fire sale and were taking a punt on a foreign government loan to avoid having to pay the full price for an investment?

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

I thought Woolies sold off their property a few years back and have squandered the money they got for all that prime real estate??

The backbone of this country are the hundreds and thousands of small businesses and self employed people, but you don't see the government offering them any help!!

I would have let the banks go under after guaranteeing the savers money. I would also have tried to claim back all those obscene bonus's to help pay out the savers. Save and get penalised is how this government seems to work??

Let those at the top have a taste of unemployment.

I would also have reneged on all those MPs pension funds, especially Bliar's to help fill the coffers.

Edited by Colin Brett

My only qualm about it is that Tata of India just bought them from Ford, presumably after the 'Due diligence' excercise and the first thing they do is run to what is to them a foreign government asking for a bail out.

Now it may be cynical, but do you think that it was always on the cards that they bought it from Ford as a fire sale and were taking a punt on a foreign government loan to avoid having to pay the full price for an investment?

should the government put taxes into any private company ,if they cant exist they should either get proper management or flounder .the railways get a hefty hand out but they knew full well what they were buying when the railways were denationalised just bad management ,a shop keeper wont get any hand outs but huge companies who should have good management get theirs :rolleyes:

the gov will say its protecting jobs but i bet its cheaper just to hand out the dole to the unfortunate rather than buy caviare for the managers

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I thought Woolies sold off their property a few years back and have squandered the money they got for all that prime real estate??

The backbone of this country are the hundreds and thousands of small businesses and self employed people, but you don't see the government offering them any help!!

I would have let the banks go under after guaranteeing the savers money. I would also have tried to claim back all those obscene bonus's to help pay out the savers. Save and get penalised is how this government seems to work??

Let those at the top have a taste of unemployment.

I would also have reneged on all those MPs pension funds, especially Bliar's to help fill the coffers.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/latestnews...just.4712372.jp

this bit is amusing

Only a few months ago, Woolworths rejected a takeover bid from Baugur, the Icelandic investment group, which already owns huge chunks of Britain's retail sector, but which has since run into its own financial troubles after the collapse of Iceland's banking system.

now iceland is only worth a £1 :lol:

thats the trouble when british companies sell out to foreigners (woolworths wasnt ofcourse british from the start) they sacrifice their overseas investments before their own ,i wonder how many companies that were british actually are today ,i bet its very few .britain sold down the river without even realising it ,we have got bugger all else but a landmass and i bet even a chunck of thats foreign owned.foreign companies can decide (and their managers if their clever ) where they pay tax so you can bet little revenue was coming the govs way anyway so we just pump money in to them with only the workers taxes to count on ,the big money gets syphoned away

Edited by chesters1

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/latestnews...just.4712372.jp

this bit is amusing

Only a few months ago, Woolworths rejected a takeover bid from Baugur, the Icelandic investment group, which already owns huge chunks of Britain's retail sector, but which has since run into its own financial troubles after the collapse of Iceland's banking system.

now iceland is only worth a £1 :lol:

That means that Woolies was sold at 'a pound a shop', it does not imply that they sold the real estate for a pound a shop. A lot of High Street shops don't own their bricks and mortar, they lease them from the local council or some other landlord.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

That means that Woolies was sold at 'a pound a shop', it does not imply that they sold the real estate for a pound a shop. A lot of High Street shops don't own their bricks and mortar, they lease them from the local council or some other landlord.

you maybe right its hard to find out .

this is interesting but ofcourse could just be selling the rights to have a shop there from its real owner??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-1...es-closure.html

if ofcourse they were owned by the council just think how big a charity shop could be :D

Edited by chesters1