Athiest bus campaign

Ken L

if no one had ever mentioned God or Mohammed or any other so called diety then the ordinary men and women of this world would live their lives quite happily without the "need" for any sort of religion.

Dunno Den, there must be a "need" for this sort of belief (although I can't detect that need in myself).

What you say might be true if the world was "wysiwyg" (what you see is what you get) and we could assign a rational explanation to everything.

Trouble is.....weird things happen - like dreams. How would you explain dreams to Paleolithic Man?

Moonwatcher might dream of (say) his dead father, and be convinced Pa is alive somewhere, but not here on this earth, because he saw the Sabre-tooth kill and eat him.

Easy to see how religion arose. Priests too, as Snaileater soon realised he could get free mammoth jerky by "interpreting" the dreams of the hunters for a share of their kill.

These days there are understandable rational explanations for most things.

For those things not at present understood there is a growing willingness to believe the explanation will eventually turn out to be rational rather than supernatural.

But, sadly, for many, it is just too easy to invoke a deity as an explanation for everything.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kleinboet.

Unlike you I can prove what I know to be fact. This man unlike me, is a devout Christian. He is a Roman Catholic.

He was an expert witness in the Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District trial.

Youtube Video ->

Science may not know everything perhaps we will never know everything, but what we don't know does not invalidate what we do.

If you were a truly religious person you would treat your God with more respect than use him to stuff up the gaps in our knowledge.

I challenge you to find me a paper published by any evolutionary biologist disputing the hypotheses of shared descent.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I was just reading this report about Christians complaining about the bus posters that say "There is probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life".

While people are of course free to believe whatever they like, it does strike me that Stephen Green, is opening would be Christian advertisers up to a counter omplaints inviting them to prove the existance of their god in a court of law in order to justify their claims of eternal bliss through Christianity.

Things could get very interesting over the next few months.

Of course you should understand that this would provoke a complaint from believers just as you posting this on here would evoke a feeing that you Ken should be the chosen one to poke fun at the Christians.

How they all line up to support your words Ken, the same ones, always the same ones, and yet we seldom hear a anyone challenge these Godless souls.

Perhaps it is because the Christians have the true belief and are content that they should go about their lives without the need to post such?

After all they would be accused of preaching I suppose.

Perhaps it is because the Christians have the true belief...

Problem is, there is no single belief system for Christians.

There is a common belief in Jesus as the son of God but beyond that, things splinter pretty widely. Consider the Mormons who believe that Jesus spent time physically in North America after he was killed in the mid-East. If they've got it right and if you are not a Mormon, you are in deep trouble.

For that matter, if belief that God put a physical son (or daughter) on earth is enough then there have been many religions other than Christianity that could be said to have the true belief

I'm a confirmed agnostic - I freely admit I just don't know one way or the other.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Of course you should understand that this would provoke a complaint from believers just as you posting this on here would evoke a feeing that you Ken should be the chosen one to poke fun at the Christians.

Well the campaign appears to have been prompted not by a wish to poke fun at christians or any other group of thiests but as a responce to christian advertisements that included a web address that suggested that people who failed to believe would suffer eternal torment. This from the FAQ of the group that organised the posters:

The Atheist Bus Campaign began when comedy writer Ariane Sherine wrote a Comment is Free article in June 2008 about the Christian adverts running on London buses. These ads featured the URL of a website which said non-Christians would burn in hell for all eternity. Ariane suggested that atheists reading her article could each donate £5 to fund a reassuring counter-advert.

There's nothing unusual in this of course, the church has been instilling fear of burning for eternity into the minds of children for centuries - something that would be considered child abuse in any other context.

As for me setting out to bait the Christians, I suggest you go back and readthe first post again. I was actually expecting some comment from people about whether they'd seen the busses (I haven't, I've been stuck in the house for three days with a knee that doesn't work) on the streets but I have responded to some of the thiest statements that have been put forward.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Problem is, there is no single belief system for Christians.

Think of all the sects within Islam, within Bhuddism and so on... there is simply no single belief system!

Thus it confers no right whatever to claim that anyone's is better than anyone else's - even Richard Dawkins's point of view. So they might as well advertise and be ignored.

Edited by Alan Stubbs

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

How they all line up to support your words Ken, the same ones, always the same ones, and yet we seldom hear a anyone challenge these Godless souls.

Perhaps it is because the Christians have the true belief and are content that they should go about their lives without the need to post such?

After all they would be accused of preaching I suppose.

Please provide this godliness soul some evidence of why he should believe? What you Christians seem to overlook is the fact that they share atheist beliefs with us atheists. I assume that as a Christian You do not believe in Thor, Wodin, Ra, Freya, Zeus, Jove, Mars, Neptune, Baldr, Foresti, Cabrakan.... the list could go on almost forever. Just like you I don't accept the existence of any of those gods, the difference is I have added one more god to the list of gods that I don't accept the existence of.

Please don't give me the 'you cannot prove that God does not exist' argument either. Those who are making the exceptional claim for the existence of supernatural beings bear the Burden of Proof

Let me ask you a couple of questions please Rabbit.

How many other linguistically acquired beliefs have you accepted without evidence in your life other than your religion?

The same question I asked of Kleinboet Do you accept that the chimpanzee and us human are descended from a common ancestral species, now extinct? Yes or No?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Emma 2 - I am saying TECHNOLOGICALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless you can pick me an Innuit out of the tundra, who has NOT been tainted by civilisation and ask him to, say, cook a three course meal on an electric range!

Cory, you've lost me?????????

Snotty this is all a blown up hype to try and get the Christians to renounce their faith(didn't theRomans try that?

It is all a question of interpretation - We ALL know that God did NOT make the heavens and earth in six of our days. You have to interpret it logically.

He also said he would make man (a simple animal) in his own image!! Did he or are we still getting there? (I think that's where evolution comes in)

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Emma 2 - I am saying TECHNOLOGICALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless you can pick me an Innuit out of the tundra, who has NOT been tainted by civilisation and ask him to, say, cook a three course meal on an electric range!

Cory, you've lost me?????????

Snotty this is all a blown up hype to try and get the Christians to renounce their faith(didn't theRomans try that?

It is all a question of interpretation - We ALL know that God did NOT make the heavens and earth in six of our days. You have to interpret it logically.

He also said he would make man (a simple animal) in his own image!! Did he or are we still getting there? (I think that's where evolution comes in)

You said that you did not accept the fact that humans and chimpanzees are descended from a common ancestor, now extinct because this conflicted with your religious beliefs.

I would like you to watch this clip and tell me if you still hold the same position.

Youtube Video ->

To quote the YouTube poster addmoreice "Seriously, if your a creationist and DON'T know the arguments for evolution...don't even argue, you will simply embarrass yourself."

Please provide this godliness soul some evidence of why he should believe? What you Christians seem to overlook is the fact that they share atheist beliefs with us atheists. I assume that as a Christian You do not believe in Thor, Wodin, Ra, Freya, Zeus, Jove, Mars, Neptune, Baldr, Foresti, Cabrakan.... the list could go on almost forever. Just like you I don't accept the existence of any of those gods, the difference is I have added one more god to the list of gods that I don't accept the existence of.

Please don't give me the 'you cannot prove that God does not exist' argument either. Those who are making the exceptional claim for the existence of supernatural beings bear the Burden of Proof

Let me ask you a couple of questions please Rabbit.

How many other linguistically acquired beliefs have you accepted without evidence in your life other than your religion?

The same question I asked of Kleinboet Do you accept that the chimpanzee and us human are descended from a common ancestral species, now extinct? Yes or No?

Just when and where did divulge my beliefs or non-beliefs? I did not, and yet you seek to belittle me as if I am a moron without any understanding of how we as humans originated. and that I am so gullible that I would accept 'beliefs' which contradict common sense.

Sorry to disappoint you Corydoras you will have to lock on to someone else :rolleyes: