HOW STUPID DO WE NEED TO BE?

Ian Bass

Last weekend the British Isles were battered by awful weather, I think you would agree with that, winds up to 96mph torrential rain etc etc. Yesterday I saw pictures on the news of a young child being swept into the sea after being stood WITH HER PARENTS on a jetty and a wave took her. Luckily she was saved by her father, thus putting the father in danger as well. What the hell were they thinking about?????

I also heard of an angler being swept away off some rocks, he was rescued but pronounced D.O.A. What was he doing out fishing? Did he forget to take his medication?

Recently an angler in Blackpool went into the sea to try to rescue a couple who were having an arguement, the couple got out and the angler drowned. The CPS are considering Manslaughter charges against the couple. He was described in the local media as a hero, well I'm sorry I can think of a four letter word for him starts with P, ends with T and has RA in the middle.

WHEN are we going to learn that the sea is a cold and evil killing maching when not treated with the ultimate respect. ALL anglers should learn about tides and currents of the sea. Until we do we will continue to lose anglers to totally preventable accidents :( :mad:

[ 29. October 2002, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: Ian Bass ]

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My own brother drowned two years ago in a swimming accident, He was on the second day of his family holiday in Tobago. Wife and kids on the beach with him..they watched him lose a fight with a rip tide....He had no chance.

There were no notices on this so called tourist beach warning against these treacherous and lethal phenomena and many more have since drowned in the same area. A notice explaining the principles behind rips would have saved his life.

Tragedy is, that it is quite possible to survive a rip tide. You just have to go with it, float out until the power dissipates and then swim around it and back to the beach. If you struggle you lose.

Ian Bass:

Last weekend the British Isles were battered by awful weather, . Until we do we will continue to lose anglers to totally preventable accidents :( :mad:

I totally agree with you, 2 people were swept off piers/breakwaters and drowned over here. These thrill seekers put others at risk. Local councils should close the piers and sea fronts when they know bad weather is coming and with modern communications we all knew it was coming, I actually watched the satelite progress of the weather front on the internet.

As for anglers, they should know better, OK so you lose a couple of quids worth of bait, better than your life.

Rufus, I am sorry to read about the loss of your Brother, what a waste.

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

quote:

Originally posted by Alan Taylor:

[QB I actually watched the satelite progress of the weather front on the internet.

Alan(nl) :([/QB]

Really, I spend all day looking for a site that does satelite images. Would you care to share the url pleeze?

--

Be Kind To Your Children, They Get To Pick Your Nursing Home.

Meant to say"spent" not "spend".

Refus, my sympathies on losing your brother. A friend of mine was recently caught in one and it was bl**dy scary. Thanks to your posting I can let her know what course of action to take should she ever find herdelf in the same situation. :)

--

Be Kind To Your Children, They Get To Pick Your Nursing Home.

Paul Compton and I fished on Saturday and were catching fish right to the end, but as soon as the weather started getting "naughty," we got out of there...and fast. Just not worth taking risks.

Tragically, we read about anglers getting into difficulties only too often. :confused:

Enfield North London

Davey B:

?
Hi Davy,

it is a bit difficult to navigate because it is in dutch.

www.meteo.nl/meteo/imex/phtml or just meteo.nl and grope around.

I have just had a look and the last satelite pic was at 1300 but on Sunday it was constantly updated.

Newt will probably have a better link for you.

Hope this is enough to get you started.

Alan(nl)

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Davey B:

Really, I spend all day looking for a site that does satelite images. Would you care to share the url pleeze?

Try http://www.metoffice.gov.uk

Specifically:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/satell...lite/index.html

As well as a variety of satellite images, I find the rainfall radar animation really useful, and the 3 day weatherchart forcast.

Tight Lines - leon

ps for those that like gazing up and watching the International Space Station cross the night sky,

go visit the NASA site and get a schedule of satellite passes for your geographical location.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President