ABBOTSBURY - At Its VERY Best!!!!!!

MainBassMan

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear that MBM Mind you its so blooming cold thats prob all I'm likely to catch!! I'm going to start off at Bexington and see whats happening. Hope you feel better soon. note wind chill = 28.6 °F Brrrr!

dan

Edited by Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Well I'm defrosted and back!

I set off yesterday from Exeter at about 2pm and was on the beach at West Bexington (about 4 miles west of Abbotsbury) before 3. It was a beautiful afternoon, sun shining and a gentle northerly breeze, but blooming heck was it cold!

Its probably worth pointing out that this is the first time I’ve been beach fishing (other than feathering or spinning) for about 10 years. I tackled up with a running ledger at the bottom with a large squid bait and a small boom further up with a shorter snood and a small fish bait. One clipped up and one down. Bearing in mind the time its been since I last swung a pendulum cast I wound the braking up to 10 on the abu 6500 and gave it a gentle go. The North Western rod (gotta be over 15 years old but can still cast a bait 150 yards) did its stuff and deposited my bait about 75 yards out, which is fine for Chesil. So with the rod in the rest I sat back with a coffee wondering why it had been so long since I had done this. Only 20 mins walk from the car and I could hardly see another soul, a welcome patch of peace and quiet after Christmas. After about half an hour I had no bites so I wound in re-baited and prepared to recast, over confident with my earlier effort I wound down the brake and really gave it some welly: mistake number 1! I forgot the thumb protector and mistake number 2! backing off the brake! ........... the bait went a good 150 yards, shame about my thumb and the fact that it wasn't attached to the mainline! So I re-tackled and started again, but however hard I tried, different bait, different hook lengths etc I couldn’t get a bite. I hoped it would get better after dark, the sunset was spectacular and aided by the sight of flying V's of sea birds coming ashore lifted my spirits (sorry forgot the camera), but boy it certainly got colder! By 5pm I could hardly feel my toes! Unfortunately the fishing got no better although my casting did! However lying on the beach seeing my rod silhouetted against the milky way with the occasional shooting star was strangely pleasant considering how cold it was! I was lying there thinking that the wind chill must have brought the temp down to about - 10 (my frozen mackerel was still frozen and the fresh squid froze solid within an hour!) When I remembered looking at the thread ziggy posted about sea temps and that the sea in the channel was about 55c. Oddly enough standing in the sea in my wellies didn't seem an obvious way to warm my feet but it worked!

I stuck it out till 8pm (had to knock the ice off my brolley shelter and the plastic was too stiff to roll up it was so cold!) and headed for the warmth of the Three horse Shoes in Burton for a bowl of chips in front of the fire Ahhhhhhhhh!

All in all not a successful trip, no fish, bites, no story of the one that got away, but will I do it again?..... oh yes! (BTW don't buy Lidls starlights!!)

Edited by Dan

Hi Dan, just read this after your reply to my post on "Fished Gillkicker". Yep sounds like we had very similar trips - except for all the pesky little bleeders that were throwing themselves on my baits ! I wouldn't normally complain at all you understand, but nearly all the whiting were just under what you would call keepable size and in the end it became quite painfull on the freezing fingers - for little reward.

But despite the slightly 'grumpy' tone of my post, as you said - will I be doing it again ?....Oh yes ! Good tides at the end of the week :D .

PS what was the problem with the Lidl starlights ?

Edited by RichardB
DON'T PANIC

i too hope to get down soon it has been an awful long time since a bait has hit the water

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

Hi Richard, the lidl starlights were about as bright as the background stars! but it did occur to me that they mauy be brighter if it wasnt so cold! should be warmer this weekend, might try again on Sat or Sunday. Anyone know whats the fav bait atm?

dan

Lovely night - full of stars and a nice swell but only a dozen of the rubbish species>>>> :angry:

:lol: GOOD fun though!!! B):unsure: : :):blink:

BassMan - The holder of Possibly Very Good Catches - Luv to fish from Yaks!!!!