Self-Defence on the bank

Gaffer

I was once stopped by the Police, while I was on my way fishing. Why, is anyone's guess.

Anyway, I had on my person, a survival knife. Now on inspection, the Police were pretty unhappy that I should be carrying something so 'over the top' and asked for a reasonable reason for having it. I told them I was going wading (I had waders with me) in the river, which is highly dangerous without a knife. The Police asked if I thought this particular knife was suitable for the job. I told them I couldn't think of a better knife to have, should I require one to....survive. I pointed out that if I had been carrying a potato knife, I would have no reason for having it, since I would not be peeling potatoes. I told them that no other knife would do and also pointed out that I have never been involved in any violent crime, which of course, they checked immediately.

I had not been charged for anything in over 5 years and as I had explained, I had never been involved in any violence.

They admitted that my reason for having a 'survival knife' was actually sound, if a little unusual and my point about peeling potatoes was correct, even if it did raise an eyebrow. They had to concede that they had no further reason to question me and let me go.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

me and my dad were talking to a fisherman at our lake. we were getting on good when suddenly, for no reason, he threw a heavy metal chair at my dad. then threatened us using very foul language. you just don't know whats going to happen next.

PADDYWORLD:GREAT PICS!!!

INCLUDING Fishing, football and cars.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~paddyy/hello.html.htm

or have a chat in my forum @:

http://patrickgjbyrne.proboards50.com/

Being a litter aware angler you should be carrying a toilet roll and a folding shovel, which (to alleviate the risk of soiled underwear) should be unfolded and at hand.

There's not many willing to risk the chance of losing a knee cap when they see it in your hand, plus the added benefit of there being less sh!t left in swims!

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!

While nowhere is 100% safe these days (rant, rant, pass me the Daily Mail), personally I'd rather avoid waters where physical threat is a real possibility. Whether you can handle yourself or not, who wants to be sat there looking over their shoulder the whole time?

[ 16. October 2005, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Sipadan ]

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

DJMCJERICO:

While fishing i normaly have with me my fav knife, 2 blades that fold out at each end facing opposit directions, in the style of "Blade".

You mean the rebel force/ battle hawk knives?

I have the much better "back to back" style firebird knives which open up to reveal 4 blades, i also have my assortment of battle axes (NO not mother-outlaws real axes), replica wallis sword, cyclone knife, blazon fang, sword of Kroenen (from hellboy) and the terminator sword.

None of which i would dream of carrying with me when fishing..................well maybe the firebirds

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

The best form of self defense on the bank is numbers.

dont go anywhere dodgy alone, take a friend or two, this may not always be possible with you older guys but for the younger people its very appropriate.

hmmmm really

Sparked two guys over the years which were angling/beer related .Am cracking on in age but trained to a high degree in katate and still weight train and use the punchbag.

Will tolerate assholes to a point!!! Mind you it takes a lot to make me "bite" cos I am very mellow these days

THE DRAGON WHIPS HIS TAIL

[ 16. October 2005, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Snatcher ]

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Alan Fawcett:

You mean the rebel force/ battle hawk knives?

I have the much better "back to back" style firebird knives which open up to reveal 4 blades, i also have my assortment of battle axes (NO not mother-outlaws real axes), replica wallis sword,  cyclone knife, blazon fang, sword of Kroenen (from hellboy) and the terminator sword.

What age are you?... :rolleyes:

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

33 but i am a collector of replica medevil weaponry and fantasy knives/swords ect.

Couldn't be bothered with collecting the samuria/ninja knives that everyone else collects and can be brought from any market ect these days..............ouch.....i forgot to add my beloved wife Dian on the other hand is an avid collector of such oriental weapons.

I was hoping to have a replica of a Treboche to stand in the back garden but "she" said no

[ 16. October 2005, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Alan Fawcett ]

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them