Chesil beach camping

Satchmo

Has anybody here ever camped out overnight on Chesil Beach. Are there any restrictions on camping? Where's the best spots and what species are available this time of year (apart from mackeral!)?

theres s'sposed to be no camping or overnight in the car park afaik, but im not sure how its enforced...

as to the beach, well...dunno, but whats the difference between and overnight camp and a night fishing session with a snooze?

Judging by the number of bivvies on the beach some nights, I don`t think you`ll get accused of camping? But their are some camp sites nearby ( a few miles away).

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Always used to see people spending the night in campervans at W Bexington and Abbotsbury. And the beach sometimes had so many bivvies/tents/shelter/campfires you could be forgiven for thinking you'd walked in on a scout jamboree.

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

Ive used a bivy/brolley for years and never been accused of camping, guess if you bought a 18 foot frame tent someone might complain!! still if you manage to carry it across the shingle you deserve to put it up!

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Nobody is going to trouble you for camping overnight on the beach(west side), but your car and any valuables will be vulnerable in the Abbotsbury car park overnight, especially if it is the only one there. I had petrol tank emptied there in November.

You won't be asked for a parking fee until after 9.00 am at Abbotsbury, but you're best to buy a 24 hr ticket at the Portland end of the beach. Buy another and put them together on the dashboard if you think you might be there longer.

If you are going to make a long session of it then the best thing to do is go the the Portland end of the beach and walk north west as far as you can manage with your gear(about 45-60 mins). That will bring you toward the Army bridging camp and you will pick up a stronger ebb tide current than you would do nearer to Portland.

The water will be much deeper than at the Abbotsbury end of the beach and you have a chance of catching something at any state of the tide.

The best fish that I have seen caught along this stretch was a 16lb Turbot.

People have started to catch Bass at Abbotsbury this week.

Ask in the tackle shop on Portland Road, Wyke Regis for latest catch info.

There is a toilet with a fresh water tap in the Abbotsbury car park open all night and cleaned at least twice a day.

The seabed at West Bexington is more sandy and there are more flatties to to be caught there, but it's not a place that I have fished a lot.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Satchmo:

Thanks Jim!

One more question though. Whats the best place and time for smoothound which I've  been told are starting to show off Chesil

Thanks

I was down at Abbotsbury on Sunday and a couple of chaps, who had been there all day, had caught a couple of smoothounds, besides a lot of small pout and doggies.

They gave me the last of their ragworm and one of them pulled for the last time and there was a bass of about a pound-and-a-half on his hook.

I had one about the same at about 8.00 pm with the tide still rising. I lost 2 more fish, that felt about the same size, in the surf.

I presume they had been using ragworm all day. I gave them a couple of strips of Fish-Bites for next time.

On Monday evening I had a couple of small pout and a doggy, but had to pack up before it got dark. I start work at 10.00 pm!

Abbotsbury is the most convenient part for Chesil, but must be the most over-rated beach anywhere. The other end of the beach is much better and a point opposite the Chickerell Rifle Range is my favourite spot, but I need to get another boat to start fishing it again.

There is a traditional Fleet boat(trough) for sale locally if anyone is interested. It's of wood and will easily float in 6 inches of water.

If you want Smoothounds, have a trip with SandTiger but you might have to wear a blindfold for the last mile or two!

[ 21. April 2004, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Sandtiger? Smutts, smutts and more smutts!!

That`s why he`s invited me to Dartmouth for this w/ends plaice festival?

Hello Jim.

Yes Abbotsbury is overated. Unless you can manage the slog to the `Dragons teeth`?

Portland end is best.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!