Clothes you wear under drysuit/ cag

northsea

Hi there,

Wondering what sort of material you wear under your dry suit/cag when it's perishing cold?

Do you simply wear a few thin layers or what?

Does it need to be breathable etc?

I wear a long john style wetsuit under my rash vest and dry cag but still feel it cold on top when it's really cold out there.

Any feedback on this very much appreciated indeed! ;)

Today it was 7c and I wore my drysuit with thermal T-shirt and long johns with the fleece undersuit and I was just paddling no fishing and by the time I got back I was sweating like a pig and my suit is breathable ...or so they say !!

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

Interesting to read that guys thanks.

I hear that cotton is not too good to wear as is has no or little protection against the water should it get in plus it stays wet for longer etc

I'm wondering if I could get away with a thin fleece top.

I may have a go.

I wear a long john style wetsuit under my rash vest and dry cag but still feel it cold on top when it's really cold out there.

I have found that wearing a wetsuit or rash vest under a dry cag causing sweating which sits next to your skin and then makes you feel cold. I've found its much better to wear thermal layers that can breath this allows the sweat to wick and leave your body to sit on the inside of your dry kit (less of an impact with breathable dry kit - but these get destroyed by the salt in the sea).

I have found that wearing a wetsuit or rash vest under a dry cag causing sweating which sits next to your skin and then makes you feel cold. I've found its much better to wear thermal layers that can breath this allows the sweat to wick and leave your body to sit on the inside of your dry kit (less of an impact with breathable dry kit - but these get destroyed by the salt in the sea).

i agree you can usually get a free fleece thermal under layer with most dry suit purchases if not buy one i recomend it i recomend a couple pairs of socks or three even in this weather id even add an extra fleece like the internal reggatta ones or ones used by ski ers

thing is to not exert your self rushing to your mark as ive learned you dont make mutch in the way of time to fish and you sweet a lot more making your siting there very chilly

take your time casually make your way thinking about your paddle technique etc drop your anchor 3-1 [3metre out to 1 metre down] and sip at your flask and enjoy the whole thing :D

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

I'm an ex white water canoeist. The internal layers need to be thermal ie top and long johns. These allow any sweat to be wicked away from the body. Cotton is a big no no as it wont retain any heat when wet. Wool on the other hand does.

I have read that you should dress according to the water temp, just in case you fall in. Is that right?

Steve

Edited by seajunky

I have read that you should dress according to the water temp, just in case you fall in. Is that right?

Steve

Yes, spot on Steve. The RNLI have rescued folk wearing dry suits in the summer who have been suffering from hypothermia because they had insufficient clothing on under the suit and had dressed for the air temperature and not the water temperature. The water temperature is still going to be pretty cool in May and June, yet in October will be much more favourable if you do get immersed in it.

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

i like a pink tutu ,fishnets ,tight figure hugging banana hammock and a much loved hessian vest .

ps ditch the high heels they make holes and you look like a prick launching :(

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson