Are Boat Prices 'Regional'?

Elton

I've been looking around here at a few boats. Nothing serious yet, but I want to get an idea of what sort of money I need to find.

It struck me that prices vary a lot, especially when you compare ones around here with ones on the internet.

Do prices tend to differ across the country for the same sort of package, or is it fairly 'across the board'?

Just wondering whether I should look further afield, bearing in mind that I have been advised no to buy 'blind', so don't want to waste too much time travelling.

Cheers,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Yes they can vary and there are some good reasons for it. If you are selling a decent boat up in say Orkney or Shetland you have a limited market but this is out-weighed by the fact that the boat is already here and the massive transportation costs have already been met so the price can be high. On the other hand if the boat is a bit of a dog the price can be very low, the cost of scrapping stuff can be high (Hence loads of old boats sitting in gardens rotting away etc).

From what I can see the bigger the market the lower the costs.

Don't know why but Essex always seems cheap ;-)

(Sorry Sam)

Bob

Guest NickInTheNorth

Take a good look at both:

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk and

http://www.findafishingboat.co.uk

They will give you a good idea of what the pricing is like. I have to say that Essex does always seem to have a lot of boats at good prices.

And yes there is huge regional variation in pricing. I have seen similar boats offered for sale down in the south for about half of what has been asked up here, but generally I would say that northern scotland seems to be 25% dearer than SE England.

Those sites should carry a Government Wealth Warning. I've just blown about £2m, in my mind...... :)

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

If you take the Supply and Demand theory - in the South, there is a high supply and demand is higher for more expensive/newer boats, so a good cheapie is a possibility. In less affluent areas supply is lower and so is demand, so you can still find a cheapie. I have bought two bargains, one in London and one in Portsmouth, but I also know one one local boat shipped down from Hartlepool where it was bought for a song. You can get ripped off or find a bargain anywhere it seems. Just keep looking!

Depends on your price bracket but I once saw an ex-police boat worth at least £100,000 going for £40,000 because the spec wasn't much use for anything but police work - but it would have made a fabulous offshore wreck raider!

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Don't even think of looking for one over here, sky high prices for every thing associated with the whole boating scene.

I've found a good bloke for boats and engines in SW Scotland, always competitive and willing to deal.

We brought a 90hp Tohatsu TDLI back with us at Easter for a friend.

He got a better deal than anywhere else advertising engines both in the mags and on the net.

I can't rate the man high enough, if your interested have a look

www.ardwellmarine.co.uk

Salar,

Cheers - just read your email and will reply soon. Stuck at the goat shed packing parcels today :(

The offer of a free boat is one that nobody on here can top, surely? :D

Elton