gps course

predator1

sandpipper:

The hardest bit is finding all the wrecks, go here to find wrecks in your local waters http://users.pandora.be/tree/wreck/

cut and paste this but dont tell everyone.Tony

Briliant site, particularly the conversion tool! Thanks. I've been serching for something like it but never found it.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elton, If you have a laptop, then you have a plotter...well, you will have if you get the GPS attachment, and the software that is available from a chap not too far from you..... :D:D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Norrie:

Elton, If you have a laptop, then you have a plotter...

Yes, and after 1 trip out in a small boat you have a GPS and a broken laptop. :) Plus a laptop battery only lasts 2 hours at best, nowhere near enough for a day's fishing. A plotter is essential for drift fishing as you need to know the direction the tide is taking you from the mark/wreck so you know where to go uptide to start your drift from. I have a Garmin GPSMAP2006 (yes I know it costs £600-1000 but it came with the boat) and it is excellent.

For those of you using buoys as waypoints, be careful not to hit them like the crew delivering a brand new 38ft Fairline last summer!!! It's probably better to create 3 waypoints, 1 to navigate to and one either side to act as a 'gateway' that you have to go through. I often do this with wrecks, one waypoint at either end so I know that I will go over the wreck as long as I go between them. A single waypoint is useless as it's all too easy to zoom into the wrong range on the plotter and miss the wreck.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Toerag:

For those of you using buoys as waypoints, be careful not to hit them like the crew delivering a brand new 38ft Fairline last summer!!!

On my GPS you can set a waypoint to avoid rather than to go over, it warns you if you get too near. I am sure most do that if you know the setiings.

Toerag:

For those of you using buoys as waypoints, be careful not to hit them like the crew delivering a brand new 38ft Fairline last summer!!!

On my GPS you can set a waypoint to avoid rather than to go over, it warns you if you get too near. I am sure most do that if you know the setiings.

Does anyone know if the Plotters you can buy in the US are available or come with UK maps? I'm visiting the USA soon, and just maybe....

Toerag:

Originally posted by Norrie:

[qb] Elton, If you have a laptop, then you have a plotter...

Yes, and after 1 trip out in a small boat you have a GPS and a broken laptop. :) Plus a laptop battery only lasts 2 hours at best, nowhere near enough for a day's fishing. A plotter is essential for drift fishing

Hiya, So, to take this piece by piece, those ruggedised laptops aint what they say they are then?? not rugged and not waterproof....why not use an invertor, like I do, then it will work all day??.....if a plotter is ESSENTIAL for drift fishing,what did folk do before plotters were available??.....and what do they do during small boat comps...how come the competitors catch fish.... :D:D

BTW, this is one chap, that needs a GPS course....

[ 30. June 2005, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: Norrie ]

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/