Mono/ fluoro advice please

northsea

Hi there,

I am trying to step down on line rating and go down to about 12lb droppers. I'm finding that the amnesia mono I am using is so limp it is tangling around my main line way too much.

I'm wondering whether any could recommend a stiffer line for me to use that might help?

Would fluoro help in this situation?

Many thanks.

Sorry I may have misled you a bit. I actually use 50lb braid as mainline then 30lb mono with 12lb droppers.

I find the lighter line the better on a kayak.

If I get snagged on all 3 droppers I am in trouble. :o

Snapping 12lb on it's own is relatively easy but not when you have more than one dropper stuck.

The biggest bonus of using a light a line as possible is you catch far more fish.

I realise that light line is not a resistant to abrasion but the waters I fish are pretty free from that.

I change my line every time I go out and will change it while out if I see any wear or tear on the trace.

I have been using 30lb main line with dropper loops but intent on doing away with the loops and using simple 4 turn water knots. This will give me added strength being a better knot.

It may also help with the tangling probs also.

Still wound be interested if any could recommend a nice stiff fluoro or something that is less prone to tangles around the mainline.

Edited by northsea

Hiya - have tried all sorts of different types of floro and mono's for hook lengths and have now settled on 'Memorex' as a personal preference.

For use on my match rigs I use 40lbs for the first 6 - 8 inches then join to 6 - 8 inches of 15lbs hook snood by either a small swivel or water knot. It is the only mono I have found to knot and bed down nicely without kinking above the join. A bit of spit also helps lubricate the knot.

I also found when bassing catch rates were not the same with coloured hook lengths - Memorex is clear.

Everyone will have their 'favorite' so I am afraid it will be trial and error until you find yours, but hope my comment helps.

All the best

Dan

Dan this memor-x looks very good.

I'm interested in your rig here. Can you explain what you mean by "40lbs for the first 6 - 8 inches then join to 6 - 8 inches of 15lbs hook snood" please?

I've been planing about with doing away with the blood loop and replacing it with a water knot.

Although this is giving me a much stronger knot it increases the tangle rate with the hook length wrapping round the mainline.

I think I will look into booms that are as "invisible" as possible. ;)

Hmmm - giving away winning match rig secrets on line ........

I use when match fishing down here (Folkestone) a modified rig I saw Alan Yates using. It is quite complicated to tie as I use 14lbs powergum as stop knots so they can be adjusted quickly, three match swivels, one dodger, 6 aero beads, bait shield and lead link. takes about 10 minutes to tie each one.

I wanted a bottom trace double the length of the the upper two snoods and came across the idea of doubling back and using the dodger as the middle snood bait clip - the impact shield holds down the bottom snood. the loop between the bottom trace swivel and the dodger can be any length but has to 'spring' out when released by the bait shield clip - hence the use of 40lbs .... without using a diagram it is difficult to explain. If you want to try one, PM you address and I will send one.

Re the booms - on my 'scratching rigs I use snoods of about 6 inches. To get them to stand out from the main line I came across some catheter tubing ... It's diameter is small enough to push up onto the knot and it stays. If it does slide after use, I put a small dab of super glue on the knot and fix it that way ..

For longer 'fixed' booms I was given some mig welding wire whch I cut to length and looped the ends. This wire is thinner than the shop bought stuff and has more 'spring' when released ...

Please eat this message when read ..... lol

All the best

Dan

ps. if you do want a rig tied - what hook size / type do you want ?