My new Whitby charter angling boat

wildcard

Hi Deepseacodmaster,

I feel I should reply to your post to avoid any misunderstandings.

Alan & I are aware that anglers enjoy their sport for a variety of reasons. Some just like a great day out and enjoy the crack and if they catch a fish or two consider it a bonus. Others take their fishing much more seriously and if they do not need a lift off the boat with their box of fillets they are disappointed. I once noticed an angler on Chieftain who having caught a couple of fish started returning the rest to be caught another day. When I enquired why? he said "if I only take a couple home I will NEED to come again soon". Personally when I was fishing on my own boat "This Way Up" I used to put my money on offshore wrecks beyond 40 miles from Whitby. This generally paid off with many catches of over 60 stones to 1 rod.

However other anglers enjoy a competitive element to their sport and for this reason I applied to join the Whitby Charter Skippers Association to enable our anglers to enter the WCSA festivals. My application was considered at a meeting of the WCSA on the 2nd February but the members decided to close the membership for the foreseeable future. My name will be placed on a waiting list and if the WCSA change this policy my application will be reconsidered. The WCSA sight the current economic conditions for their decision which I respect.

Accordingly our anglers will not be eligible to enter the WCSA festivals but Alan is considering how best to satisfy the anglers need to fish competitively until such time as I am accepted as a member of the association. Everything will be made clear on our web site but unfortunately this will not be ready for several weeks.

As many others will be, I too am looking forward to JB's return to Whitby and seeing Achates restored to her former glory. I am sure John is looking forward to getting out to our old hunting grounds as much as I am although it will be a bit strange that we will now be on different vessels.

Mike Freeman

Skipper "Wildcard"

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest challenge
Hi Deepseacodmaster,

I feel I should reply to your post to avoid any misunderstandings.

Alan & I are aware that anglers enjoy their sport for a variety of reasons. Some just like a great day out and enjoy the crack and if they catch a fish or two consider it a bonus. Others take their fishing much more seriously and if they do not need a lift off the boat with their box of fillets they are disappointed. I once noticed an angler on Chieftain who having caught a couple of fish started returning the rest to be caught another day. When I enquired why? he said "if I only take a couple home I will NEED to come again soon". Personally when I was fishing on my own boat "This Way Up" I used to put my money on offshore wrecks beyond 40 miles from Whitby. This generally paid off with many catches of over 60 stones to 1 rod.

However other anglers enjoy a competitive element to their sport and for this reason I applied to join the Whitby Charter Skippers Association to enable our anglers to enter the WCSA festivals. My application was considered at a meeting of the WCSA on the 2nd February but the members decided to close the membership for the foreseeable future. My name will be placed on a waiting list and if the WCSA change this policy my application will be reconsidered. The WCSA sight the current economic conditions for their decision which I respect.

Accordingly our anglers will not be eligible to enter the WCSA festivals but Alan is considering how best to satisfy the anglers need to fish competitively until such time as I am accepted as a member of the association. Everything will be made clear on our web site but unfortunately this will not be ready for several weeks.

As many others will be, I too am looking forward to JB's return to Whitby and seeing Achates restored to her former glory. I am sure John is looking forward to getting out to our old hunting grounds as much as I am although it will be a bit strange that we will now be on different vessels.

Mike Freeman

Skipper "Wildcard"

Surely more competition can only be a healthy thing for the association mike? :blink:

You’re to be put on a waiting list? :D

Economic climate could (in your case) just run a bit longer than any realistic economic forecast. :sun:

Regards.

Hi Wildcard and Mike,Challenge I know..lovely looking boat Mike,think that will do the job OK..I am waiting for John Brennan and his old tug to get going its more my speed.Challenge I spoke the other day with him and he was saying you and me with Ivan filming hes got another Wallace and Grommit movie coming along..I was going to say to JB he could sponsor Andrew and myself in the Whitby festival...but reading about Wildcard/Mike I think we will have to wait aswell...reckons hes off to see Paddy W in Aus before he comes back..but he as no body to look after the EMU.anyway back to fishing Wildcard/Mike if you can tell me trip lenghts and prices,I will look forward to coming and enjoy a good day out..hope it all go's well for you all..Graham

Hi Wildcard and Mike,Challenge I know..lovely looking boat Mike,think that will do the job OK..I am waiting for John Brennan and his old tug to get going its more my speed.Challenge I spoke the other day with him and he was saying you and me with Ivan filming hes got another Wallace and Grommit movie coming along..I was going to say to JB he could sponsor Andrew and myself in the Whitby festival...but reading about Wildcard/Mike I think we will have to wait aswell...reckons hes off to see Paddy W in Aus before he comes back..but he as no body to look after the EMU.anyway back to fishing Wildcard/Mike if you can tell me trip lenghts and prices,I will look forward to coming and enjoy a good day out..hope it all go's well for you all..Graham

Hi Graham,

The boat is the only 10m Swiftcat (at present) that can be chartered for sea angling in the UK. The ride is unbelievably smooth and she can belt along at 20 + knotts in almost anything :P

I am working on some unique boat features and trips which I have not seen on any other charter boat. I am having a pair of Raymarine E120s fitted and networked at Mike's request, which are fantastic bits of kit. Coupled to a Navionics platinum card they can map the seabed in 3D. We will have a 12 inch colour monitor fitted outside so that the anglers can see the shipwrecks as we approach them and therefore lose a lot less gear. :rolleyes:

Navionics platinum;

Youtube Video ->Original Video

Our trips and prices will be as follows:

Bronze - 10 hours wreck fishing 25 miles from Whitby @ £475 for full boat charter - 7.a.m - 5.p.m.

Silver - 10 hours wreck fishing 40 miles from Whitby @ £550 for full boat charter 7.a.m - 5.p.m.

Gold - 12 hours wreck fishing 55 miles from Whitby @ £650 for full boat charter 6.a.m - 6.p.m.

Platinum - 14 hours wreck fishing 80 miles from Whitby @ £750 for full boat charter 5.a.m - 7.p.m.

The boat will be COP 60 coded which means we can fish 60 miles from 'safe haven'. As we have 'safe havens' north and south of us we can in effect fish anywhere we can reach and return to port in daylight. Mike has 990 shipwrecks mapped and we reckon we can reach over 3/4 of them. Mike has landed many +30ld cod from some of the further wrecks and it will be interesting to anchor up and fish for ling at slack water.

I have commissioned a new website which will have full E-Commerce facilities so the boat can be booked online using a credit card and a calender booking system. The website will also have an anglers forum. We will be making videos of the action which I will post on Youtube.

Sorry for the long winded reply - I'll get my coat ;).

Alan

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

I am working on some unique boat features and trips which I have not seen on any other charter boat. I am having a pair of Raymarine E120s fitted and networked at Mike's request, which are fantastic bits of kit. Coupled to a Navionics platinum card they can map the seabed in 3D. We will have a 12 inch colour monitor fitted outside so that the anglers can see the shipwrecks as we approach them and therefore lose a lot less gear. :rolleyes:

The 300mm monitor sounds like a rudd@y good idea. For quite a few years on the charter boats, i would smile at meself when going aboard. There is always the rush to get on the back of the boat for the best 'fishing'. Not me, i wait for the intial rush and find meself a spot right next to the cabin, yup, i always like to look at the screen to see where me line and lure is in relation to the wreck, sometimes the skipper is too busy to shout wrecks coming up or whatever, so again i think it is a distinct advantage to be looking at the screen. Nice one.

Quote:

end quote.

Nothing to do with me but is there alot of new skippers and boats joining the whitby fleet then as it is a shame not to fit this new boat in if it are only one or two applications. They might just well be missing out on a new broome with a lot of good ideas here. Good luck with your new venture.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Surely more competition can only be a healthy thing for the association mike? :blink:

You're to be put on a waiting list? :D

Economic climate could (in your case) just run a bit longer than any realistic economic forecast. :sun:

Regards.

Hi John

Your post is very guarded. :cc_surrender:

I agree with it completely :angry::doh:

Closed shop, short-sightedness, jealousy, and stupidity all come to my mind. :group:

Maybe some Whitby Association member might enlighten us all :wallbash::wallbash:

Does anybody know of any other port Charterers Association following Whitby's lead ? :secret:

Hi John

Closed shop, short-sightedness, jealousy, and stupidity all come to my mind. :group:

Maybe some Whitby Association member might enlighten us all :wallbash::wallbash:

Does anybody know of any other port Charterers Association following Whitby's lead ? :secret:

Sorry to change the subject Ivan, but i just gotta know mate, what are you doing to that codling in your avatar mate, looks very suspicious to me. kiss of life maybe, perhaps. :)

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Sorry to change the subject Ivan, but i just gotta know mate, what are you doing to that codling in your avatar mate, looks very suspicious to me. kiss of life maybe, perhaps. :)

No Problem Barry

I caught the Australian disease ( Rex Hunt )

Give a fish a kiss :D:D

Still I have not gone as far as Snatcher

Him and his skate :wub::wub::wub:

Edited by Deepseacodmaster

Hi to you all on the topic and Ivan,Wildcard,Mike,JM,Barry..I find it hard to see why the Whitby Asso can't get you in (re a member of the boat asso) so you can fish with customers in the festival Wildcard..I thought more the better as odds go down.I would have thought that more boats/people in the Asso counts for more votes and say when it always comes back to the poor old RSA angler..perhaps I am wrong but I have been to Whitby enough times fishing and as a tripper and caught some of the biggest..more members the better....so all I can say now is good luck..don't know what the answer is..Graham

Guest challenge
Hi John

Maybe it’s because they think that there aren’t the anglers to benefit another boat in the festivals?

I suppose you can deduct from it what you want. Seams a shame that such a promising new boat like this one, is going to be left out of contributing to the successful festivals and the rich prize money that the anglers have had in the past.

Mind you the anglers will still have other boats that they can go on to compete.

Regards.