Fluff-flinging

Guest Nobrot

Guest Nobrot

Way to go, Elton!

I'm so pleased you've discovered the joys of fly-fishing and the excellent article should inspire other trout virgins to give it a go.

You hit the nail on the head with the accessibility issue - I did a feature in AT about this time last year where we proved you could actually leave home in the morning with just a briefcase containing a six-piece 'traveller' rod, small reel and floating line , mono and a box of flies and sneak in a couple of hours after work without the better half even noticing!

As you point out - the instant fix, while not everybody's cup of tea, is more appealing to newcomers and, increasingly, the only sort of angling buzz a lot of people can afford out of their busy lives.

If you ever fancy a trip somewhere closer to home - Narborough is a great beginners water - drop me a line and I'll meet you there.

Regards

Mark

Guest Elton

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the feedback.

We were, in fact, using a six piece rod, so your comments were even more relevant than you may have thought! Robin, the guy who took me, is also a Shakespeare Master Angler award winner on account of that very rod. Two years before I met him, he was fishing at the same resort in St. Kitts that we met at and landed a 32lb Tarpon on it! I would have loved to have seen that - what a scrap!

I'd love to take you up on your offer - I tried to find you at the NEC, but failed dismally Posted Image I'm fairly useless at casting, so wear a crash helmet!

Seriously, I had a large fly on for a little while and got a bit messed up in the wind. Boy, did that thing hurt when it whacked me in the back!!

All the best,

Elton

------------------

Elton Murphy

Anglers' Net http://www.anglersnet.co.uk

[This message has been edited by Elton (edited 12 April 2000).]

Guest Nobrot

Couldn't make the NEC - had to go and cover opening day at Rutland and Grafham, which were both incredibly busy.

How was the show? I've received mixed reports.

M

Guest Elton

Don't know if I'd have been happy paying £13 quid for it (it's a fiver for parking, too). Fortunately, a company sent me a pass to get in - last year was very expensive.

As for the show itself, I was amazed at who wasn't there, rather than who was. I didn't see a single bite alarm and there were some big names conspicuous by their absence. And only one weekly!

Do you think it'll take place next year? As with last year, I've heard talk of people not returning, but you never know.

On the plus side, I thought that there were some interesting elements to it. Getting to meet the 'stars' and realising that they are 'real' and friendly was good.

Like you, I've heard mixed reports. One generally finds that those who don't like something shout loudest, so there were probably a lot of people who really enjoyed it.

All the best,

Elton

------------------

Elton Murphy

Anglers' Net

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk