Cooking the trout

Guest Oggz

Dug out my fly rod etc after 18 years of the gear being in the loft. Took it up to a resevoir and got a nice 2lb Rainbow. Thing is my usual fishing is coarse and if Im going to get into fly I need a good recipe for the trout, know any?

Guest jonesbob2

quick & easy:- gut/head/tail & clean out fish,score fishes sides and back,place in silver fiol with a knob of butter/chopped onion/garlic/herbs of own shoice and maybe a bit of lemon juice( optional) wrapp up well and place in oven tray with wrapped edges uppermost to keep juices in, place in oven on highest heat for 40/45 minuets,when done take out of foil carefuly as will probably fall apart, garnish with salad, place a nice bottle of white wine at your plate side and ! bj

Guest Steve Randles

Oggz,

1)Clean and prepare fish,lightly grease the foil and place the fish on this.

Use any of the ingredients above or any of your own choosing (your own imagination is your limit here).

I would then put a sherry glass full of white wine or Vermouth on the fish before sealing, this will keep the flesh moist.

Now the important bit, place on a tray in the middle of a pre-heated oven (about 180c), and cook for no more than 6-7 mins.Any longer, and you will spoil this undoubtebly tasty fish.

Leave the fish to "rest" for 5 mins, then unwrap, serve, eat, enjoy and come back and tell me what a geniuos I am!!!! Posted Image

Your fish will be very moist and be delicious Posted Image

2)Clean and prepare the fish and then fillet.

Wash under cold water, and dry with kithen paper.Dip both sides in seasoned flour and shake off the excess.

Shallow fry in hot oil for 2 mins either side and drain on kithen paper, rest for a couple of mins, and serve, eat, enjoy, tell me I'm brilliant!!!! Posted Image

Any fish (generally) requires the minimum ammount of cooking, overcook it and it spoils. The rest time is for the flesh's sake, when cooking the fish will start to shrink (because of the heat), resting, allows the fish to "Relax" again, making it soft and diliciously edible again.

Bon Appetit!

Steve Randles [ Ex Chef Posted Image]

Guest baileyflies

Try this its not a joke. Catch your trout, cut the head off and gut it, get some old newspaper and damp it, wrap the fish in the newspaper and throw on the fire, leave for 20-40 min, open the paper and theirs your trout cooked. Taste it and belive it.

Best Regards

baileyflies

Originally posted by baileyflies:

Try this its not a joke. Catch your trout, cut the head off and gut it, get some old newspaper and damp it, wrap the fish in the newspaper and throw on the fire, leave for 20-40 min, open the paper and theirs your trout cooked. Taste it and belive it.

Best Regards

baileyflies

I've cooked trout almost the same way, the only exception is that after cleaning the fish I splatted mud all over it to a thickness of about 1/2 inch or so. Plonk it on the open fire and when the mud is real hard, the fish is cooked. When you break open the mud, it brings all the skin off with it.

And no, it doean't taste of mud afterwards Posted Image

------------------

John Suffill

john@go-fishing.co.uk

Elton, Everyone else...

Sorry about the unfriendly Auto responder. The mail address is a rarely used one and I put that in for the junk mail that always topped it up.