River levels information?

david t

I am hoping to make the trip to the upper/middle severn near welshpool, on friday, all things permitting. I dont mind fishing it with a little extra water or colour, but as im fishing a new stretch I dont want to arrive to a flooded river really. I would therefore like to know the river levels before I go.

I know there is the EAs river call phoneline, which is premium rate. But is there a reliable daily river level thing on the internet anywhere, so I can check it day to day at all?

Alternatively, would there be anyone that lives on the middle severn that wouldnt mind me asking them for the river level the evening before I go, via phone or email?

Ive always thought it would be good to set up a national scheme like that, an angler based river level guide.

Cheers

Dave

Is there a live webcam anywhere on the river? There's one on the Tyne at Hexam Bridge (currently not working!) which can give a good idea of levels in my neck of the woods. I couple it with rivercall and it really is quite useful...

Sleeping we image what awake we wish;

Dogs dream of bones, and fishermen of fish.

The failure of the EA to make information from it's monitoring stations freely available at no cost has been discussed before.

For quick information about the river level and colour, your best bets are the webcams at Shrewsbury and Bridgnorth.

The one a Bridgnorth is bu far the best because not only does it give a better view of the river, it also has images lower down the page that will give you an idea of what a flood or a low running river look like for comparison.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

From the bridgnorth picture, I can see that the river looks pretty high.

Oh yes !

Unles you can tuck yourself into the mouth of a tributary you are going to have a seriously hard time with the levels as they are now.

OTOH if the levels drop and it clears a bit, it could fish it's head off.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

There is this site for the Thames that i use if i cannot be bothered to go and look http://riverconditions.visitthames.co.uk/

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Cheers both of you, I will keep my eye on the weather, from my place i can see the clouds coming in and building over the hills which are drained by the severn, so thats a good little indicator for me, and at the moment there has been a fair bit of cloud coming that way.

Dave

Edited by david t

I am hoping to make the trip to the upper/middle severn near welshpool, on friday, all things permitting. I dont mind fishing it with a little extra water or colour, but as im fishing a new stretch I dont want to arrive to a flooded river really. I would therefore like to know the river levels before I go.

I know there is the EAs river call phoneline, which is premium rate. But is there a reliable daily river level thing on the internet anywhere, so I can check it day to day at all?

Alternatively, would there be anyone that lives on the middle severn that wouldnt mind me asking them for the river level the evening before I go, via phone or email?

Ive always thought it would be good to set up a national scheme like that, an angler based river level guide.

Cheers

Dave

I haven't tried it but it might be worth a go!

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homea...hing/31443.aspx

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Is there a live webcam anywhere on the river? There's one on the Tyne at Hexam Bridge (currently not working!) which can give a good idea of levels in my neck of the woods. I couple it with rivercall and it really is quite useful...

River levels for the Tyne Toady.

http://www.fishpal.com/England/Tyne/RiverLevels.asp?dom=Tyne

david,

I've just discovered this.... http://www.fishing.visitwales.com/fisherie...ult.aspx?ID=975

It isn't Severn specific, but i use it for fishing the Dee, which drains from hills just a couple of miles away from where you fish so the graphs should be useful and the levels similar.

Also if i remember, you said you may try the river Wye. This site has Wye levels at a few locations as well as levels for the game rivers near you.

You have to register to view the levels, but it only takes a minute.

let me know if its any use mate.

p.s that might not be the exact link but somewhere there is a drop down list of rivers and their levels. :)