FISHMONGERS OR ANGLERS

Guest JOHN HEPWORTH

Guest JOHN HEPWORTH

Posted ImageHeard a confusing comment on the Radio Newcastle angling show this Sunday, "Salmon anglers dont seem to be taking out rod licences because they will have to return all the fish caught before June 16,and clubs are finding members are not re-joining because of this"-- "Most of the lads that fish up here fish for the sport, they are not fishmongers"

------------------

JOHN HEPWORTH(CSG)

• 2 weeks later...

Surely, every angler knows that the licence is to enable you to fish, not remove fish?

Was this comment on the radio made to stir up anti-angling hostility, do you think?

Tight lines,

Elton

Guest JOHN HEPWORTH

No Elton, It was made by the game angling correspondent, its just the mind set of N/Eastern game anglers, you have to live up here to understand it.

I've heard recently that Chester-Le-Street Angling club is close to folding, (this came from a normally very reliable sourse) thats after making the majority of members (COARSE) very unwelcome, as the saying goes you reep what you sow!

Tight Lines,

JOHN

[This message has been edited by JOHN HEPWORTH (edited 07 February 2001).]

John,

There is a proportion of game anglers who want to make their own mind up about what they kill or return.

When the Environment Agency announced the catch/release byelaw, T&S magazine vehemently opposed it. They even set up a petition to MAFF. Luckily MAFF listened to the Agency rather than the proportion of T&S readers who responded against the byelaw.

Some game anglers even suggest that if they have to release their catch they will not fish at all!!

IMO salmon anglers should have adopted catch and release ages ago. Certainly before the regulator imposed it for them. I say this as a longtime coarse angler, sometime game fly fisherman.

In the States catch and release is mandatory for most species and in most places. They have the right idea - fishing for sport is seen as being environment friendly.

Guest Spiderfan

It seems that some people justify the cost of angling by the capacity of their chest freezer. Its just a shame that the real reasons for the currently dire fish stocks were not addressed in a timely fashion. Anglers make little impression on healthy fish stocks, its unmanaged commercial fishing and river mismanagement that hammers the big nails into the coffin.

People who pay their way have the right to their opinion and to vote with their feet, as seems to have happened in this case.

A sad indictment of the materialistic society in which we live.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Alan Roe

John have a look in the Jan 2001 edition of British Sportfishing Magazine.

Theres an article by a bloke by the name of Roskill that will make your blood boil!!

Originally posted by Squimp:

In the States catch and release is mandatory for most species and in most places. They have the right idea - fishing for sport is seen as being environment friendly.

Squimp - Manditory C&R is more true for trout than other species but is actually fairly limited - usually waters that are very popular and can't hold a population that would stand up to C&E (catch and eat). Many of these waters are also manditory barbless.

Also, most areas have a closed season on trout (and other fish) where you can catch but must release. Stripped Bass in sea waters or fresh waters that connect directly to the sea are one that has a very short open season and minimum size restrictions even then.

Other than that, C&R is normally not manditory over here for any species except in some small waters in parks and such and by no means common in them.

It is rare anywhere for carp and catfish. Some of us are working hard to change that but it is a slow go. Sorry to put the coarse fish here in the game section but just couldn't resist. Posted Image

It does amaze me though that anyone would think a license is necessary only to keep fish. What a strange idea.

[This message has been edited by Newt (edited 28 February 2001).]

Guest Alan Roe

This posted on behalf of Martin James.

Please add this bit

for me on that subject. 'I too have read the article Alan refers to and

seen the awful pictures ref the killing of the wild salmon. Is this the

same Roskilly who kills salmon the same person who doesn't like the

Irish killing pike double standards I say' Martin James