Buzzers (Flies, not Delkims!)

Guest Spiderfan

Guest Spiderfan

I feel that fishing with buzzers can be the most exciting and productive method when stillwater flyfishing, especially at this time of year. Under the right conditions, if you can marry a reasonably imitative pattern with the correct size and colour, results can be amazing.

The question is then, what size and colour buzzers do the business on your water(s) and do you find that time of day or year makes a difference?

Guest Vagabond

Hi Spiderfan

Too many variables (buzzer species, type of water, weather, time etc) to answer in a short post.

But here's one approach. Carry a range of colours - orange, red, claret, grey, black, cream and shades of green through olive to shades of brown. Look for signs of buzzer hatches - flies themselves, obviously, but swallows and martins dipping into the water is a good sign - even if trout are not rising in that area they may be taking the ascending pupae below the surface. My empirical approach is to put on a team of three - black, claret and medium olive. The first trout caught is marrow-spooned and then I try to match the commonest item seen. On balance, that seems to work better than soldiering on with what you have just caught it with! Its usually a good method this time of year, but present weather here in Sussex is pretty awful - itching for a bit of warmth so I can have a go on the local res !

------------------

Vagabond

Guest Spiderfan

Thanks VB,

Like yourself, in the absence of clues, I normally start off with darker colours, usually black, brown and red changing to olives, tans, oranges and yellows as my fishing progresses.

I'll also move flies up and down the leader to see if the preference is for colour and not the location of feeding depth.