Mullet on the fly

Guest Neil Eppey

Guest Neil Eppey

Now summer is just around the corner I am thinking about a couple of trips for Bass on the fly down at Pagham. Whilst down there last year a firend had a go at the Mullet using bread but after talking to a few other anglers I now think they can be taken on the fly.

Would anyone know of the best fly patterns, line type etc to try ?

As a point of intrest I have just come back from Mexico where I caught my first Bonefish and Tarpon on the fly - roll on next year.

Over there I was using Cortland and Polyfuse Bonefish saltwater taper lines specially made for warm water. Would these be too stiff for use in this Country, should I stick to standard Cortland 444 ?

Regards,

Neil

Guest Vagabond

Hi Neil

I don't know the "best" fly, but I can say I have had mullet on gammarid shrimp imitations, on maggot-like flies - eg Peach Doll, and on Pheasant Tail. Size 14 hook seems about right, and I use 5 or 6-weight gear, floating Air-Cell line. I don't claim to be an expert but have caught mullet on the above. Hope that helps - one thing you WILL find out when you hook your first on fly gear - they fight like h*ll - never seem to give up, and are very prone to the hook pulling. Anyone fly fishing for mullet well deserves any that are landed!

Good Mulleting.

------------------

Vagabond

Guest Richard L

Hi Neil,

Trout tackle (6-weight) should be fine with small imitative patterns (try buzzers!)

Your tropical saltwater lines will go very stiff in UK waters and are best avoided.

R