First boat

richjones

Hello guys.

I have been having a think recently about getting a little boat for fishing.

I would just like something simple, just about big enough for me and my dad, and a minimal amount of tackle/equipment.

Problem is i dont really know where to start!

The foldable boat that i think i have seen in JV44's posts looks ideal but i've got an idea that these are not cheap...

So how much would i be looking at for a 2nd/3rd/4th hand rowing style boat and a small 2hp engine to fit onto it, just to go at crawling speed around a lake, or on a slow moving river?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The folding boats aren't cheap but they are good and they are very easy to transport.

Otherwise, it will help to know what vehicle you will be using.

I know the usual in the UK is some sort of rowing boat but my Dad & I did fine with a 12 ft aluminium jon boat that would fit nicely into the back of a pickup truck or on a roof mount. 3hp outboard pushed it along very nicely and paddles (think Indian canoe) worked for precision manuvering. These days I'd have been using an electric motor rather than paddles but they hadn't been invented then.

We actually started with a wooden jon boat but once aluminium was available, we switched and that style boat was all we used for my first 16 years of fishing. No good for big waters but ideal for all the ones local to me since none were over a few hundred acres in size.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

So how much would i be looking at for a 2nd/3rd/4th hand rowing style boat and a small 2hp engine to fit onto it, just to go at crawling speed around a lake, or on a slow moving river?

Like Newt said, an electic motor is very versatile for maneuvering and it's very stealthy as well. Not to mention clean. Add a good 12v marine battery full charged and it should last you all day with a small boat.

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

if thats a porta bote i hate the things its like fishing of a bouncy castle

how much do you want to spend what waters will you be fishing on

i have a ten foot sniper with a 33lb electric and a six horse 2 stroke the boat cost 300 quid off ebay and all in all with things like life jackets anchors ropes metal ware such as cleats and plates with staples and both motors and batteries for the electric motor, sounder..... in total aroud a grand

you get the idea

i would avoid the little grp dinghys as most ive seen have no bouyancy in them at all, or very little

to fish two from a small boat is pushing it ive done it in mine on a smaller water (beraing in mind the boat is rated to three people) you both need to be very organised and in tune with the other person

walker bay do a 10 foot boat dinghy thing but its not cheap however it was the best i saw by far other than that plastimo i think the bics would be too small but not having tried one cant comment too much on that

odd this should come up ive just wrote a thing for the pac region im in about my 1st boat

As has been said you have to work out what water you will be using said boat on as something that is suitable for a river or small lake doesn't mean it will be great on a Scottish Loch for eg ,This is a good site to look at http://www.apolloduck.com/listings.phtml?cid=8 or this one

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/categor...r+sale/Dinghies and there is also the local free adds type paper.

First off have you got room for one on a trailer coz a 12` boat is 14` when on a trailer so will it fit in your garage and most houses have a covenant prohibiting storage of caravans/boats on the drive ,So if not you are looking at car toppable which is aluminium punts/dingys in the 10` range or the type noodle has suggested,Porta botes are rare as rocking horse £$%^$£" secondhand but do come up on e bay occasionally,The floors in the porta bote flex so it does feel strange but i fly fish for Pike out of mine no probs and with the swivel seats they are comfy to sit in all day bait fishing and you can slip them in places that you cant with a trailord boat,you need to take someone with you who knows about trailers if buying one on the above as they allways say yes mate its got new bearings and when you take the cap off rusty water runs out and walk away from any painted trailers ,if thye boat is a double skinned foam filled type look for cracks above ambnd below as water getting into older ones that are not closed cell foam aint good boat is twicw as heavy and sits lower in the water,Dont be afraid to haggle if buying second hand and sometimes a local PAC meeting is a good place to go as someone there will be into boat fishing and give you some pointers as to which boat and also often Know someone who is selling one.

I have boat fished for 20 years on the Thames /small lakes etc and had loads pf different boats including Dell quay dorys /fibreglass/clinker built/Aluminium punts and boats and for me ease of use and above all storage the Porta Bote wins but this is just my opinion others will favour other types but the first concern should be storage as you would not be the first to go and buy one on a trailer that wont fit in the garage or is to heavy to get off the roof rack on your own or even 2 of you without scratching your motor.

Beware as a bit like centrepin reels it becomes an obsession that devours both money and time.

If you want to fish 2 of you then i would suggest 12` is better than 10` you are welcome to come down for a day out on the river in mine if you want good luck in your quest Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

If on a budget, and most of us are, then we don't necessarily have the luxury of choice. However. you might just be in the right place at the right time. A near neighbour had a rather sweet 10 ft., g.r.p. rowing boat in his garden for many years. A few weeks ago I actually met him and, tongue in cheek, asked if the boat was to become a garden feature! I now have, in my garden, a very nice, easily rowed soon to be fishing dinghy, and it cost me nothing! The downside is that it has a small hole in it, but that is so easily repairable in glass fibre. I intend to put a casting deck in it and make myself a yet another angling boat, but one dedicated to single handed lure fishing. In boating circles there is a saying, if it looks right then it is right. But knowing if its right in the first place is always the problem! Common sense is a useful attribute. Look at boats that are made of aluminium or g.r.p. You can always post a picture of it on the forum and ask what people think. Re leccy motors, I wouldn't rely on one as your main source of power. If a blow develops then they do tend to be under powered. Twelve foot long would probably be good if you intend to trail it.

Edited by Peter Waller

Peter - for sure you will want a foot-controlled trolling motor and consider this style 'seat' for use when trolling along and casting.

Fishing seat or Butt rest seat and This pedestal or a similar one.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

ive been thinking of getting one of these for some time, i first seen one go down the river kelvin with 2 kids and an adult in it. the best bit is it packs away in to a small box and looked very touch especialy when i heard it grind over the rocks in the shallows

they can be bought cheaper than what is stated on that website, cheapest i seen was 299 and as soon as i have 300 to burn thats what im getting

l-backcountry-green.jpg

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Thanks very much for the quick replies guys.

Some great information for me there, and im happy that i would be able to get something for within my budget of £800-1000.

JV44 thanks very much for the offer, i may well take you up on it once the weather gets warmer!

I think il be leaving the purchase until the start of the summer anyway, and after buying one il be looking at using it on a couple of welsh lakes.

I think a roof rack set up would be much easier for me space wise, are there special ones for boats or do standard bike roof racks work?

Im sure there are a few more questions i need to ask before buying, and as mentioned, i will post links and pictures of any good looking ones i see, onto the forum.