salmon in the tyne

Guest phil dean

Guest phil dean

bloody big otter, i can't lift one of those.

to be honest, I don't make much distinction re size or otherwise as to which victims of these predators worry me.

At the end of the day, most hunters attack easier prey, commercial ponds etc can take precautions (electro fences, disturbance tactics etc) to limit the damage, wild waters will suffer but the majority of fish taken will be the easy prey, but the main danger to them is probably still polution and the fact that a major natural foodsource for otters..eels, are being netted in such numbers that the otter will need to hunt larger creatures.

OK I'm probably wrong and at some stage these creatures may get the clasification of vermin, but it wont be in my lifetime, I just want to see one in the wild before i go, and you never know when that may be.

------------------

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Guest NigelT

A dog otter is a huge animal, bigger than most people think and if you ever see one in the wild you will never mistake one for a mink. Most people who get confused about mink and otters have probably only seen mink in the wiid as otters are unmistakeable.

Make no mistake about it an otter will move onto a water for easy pickings especially in the winter when they tend to move around in search of new prey.

There is a water not far from Oakbank which had it's stock almost wiped out in one winter by a visiting otter, and that included fish to over 28lb. Sadly these fish had taken over twenty years to reach that weight and alot of time and effort had gone into developing the water. Despite pleas for help the so called experts were next to useless.

You are of course right an electric fence will keep them out but the cost is way above what most clubs / syndicates can afford.

For your best chance to see an otter try the west coast. My last sighting was in October 2000 on the river Eden. Funny, I did'nt catch any grayling after it swam past my float!!!!.

Guest phil dean

just thought i'd mention, there's a photo in the jopurnal today of a seal eating a salmon under the milenium bridge, bang opposit my office, great place this

------------------

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY